Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

Scrupa, Thanks for all the work and Information.  This is very helpful to all of us just starting out.

Message 31 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@jim44 wrote:

- Alot really useful info for me, thanks!

No degros on my CH pre BK.  Post BK the only degros are IIBK and on EQ  7 missed payments on my mortgage. 

- Unfortunately for me, a ton of derogs - I'd been using checks from CCs to make minimum payments to other CCs, so my attorney told me not to pay anyone but made me wait 3 mos to file. TU & EQ on CK are clean with a "A" for on time payments, but Credit.com w/EX shows around 30 lates and gives me an "F", but EX Fako is still just over 700.

Applied for BOA secured 4 years post BK.  Graduated in 9 months. Burned in BK

- Thanks. As I posted earlier I want the FIA issued Fidelity Amex but I burned FIA/BoA for 1 card for $8k. I thought it was silly for me to app for a secured card with them at 4 1/2 years post BK just to get back in with them, but since it worked for you I think I'll go ahead & app for secured.

Applied for Chase BP gas card again 4 years post BK.  Auto denied because of BK (as Supra stated) recon and denied.... They want to see longer utiization on a couple store cards (no interest purchases)  the CA (super understanding) stated BK was NOT the deciding factor.  FYI this month Chase BP and BP Visa will now be Synchrony Bank  Burned Chase with my Amazon CC.

- Chase was my largest creditor IIB, and I'm staying way clear of them, which is no doubt how they prefer things as well..

Citi.  Tried for Exxon Mobil gas card for the heck of it as I had several gas cards and two Visa with them that were not IIBK.  However I did burn them with my Thank you CC and my Sears MC  No go until 7-10 years post BK as it's been mentioned in this thread. However like others I have a BB MC that is now Citi.  They have denied 2 CLI's with me but the reason wasn't BK but some other lame excuse. Others have mentioned they blacklist.  Would love to have a Home Depot card again but have been denied because of BK.  I did not burn this card! 

- Citi was my 2nd largest creditor IIB, but I got in the back door with a Best Buy MC - originally issued by HSBC, acquired by Cap One and then Citi. Citi would probably deny me if I apped for the BB MC directly with them, but they quickly approved my $1000 CLI last fall. But their pre-qual page still says Nope! for anything else.

Synchrony Bank.  Have to say that I've had better luck with GE Financial.  Burned GE with my Sams Discover and JC Penneys however i was approved for a JC Penney card and a CLI on the same day. (reconned the CLI in the store).  However I have been twice denied with a Sams Club store card.  Never had any luck with Synchrony.  I've also noticed on their Banana Republic store card application, they ask about BK.  Never seen that on any other Synchrony card application.

- Synch seems to either love or hate you. I burned GE for a couple cards but Synch always approves me - Walmart store card started with $1200 in 2012, now up to $5k. I had a $1k Amazon store card but closed it, never charged more than $100, not a big Amazon shopper. Approved for Lowes w/$700 SL last Jan, called & got $5k CL.

Comenity Bank was been very generous on their store card CLIs but they won't approve me for a Marathon Visa or BJ Perks MC. Again they mention BK (among other reasons) in their denial letters.

- I have a PayPal Credit w/$2500 CL, and tht's all I want from Comenity. It started as Bill Me Later and actually survived my BK, did't have a balance so didn't list it, had no other Comentiy accounts so they didn't get wind of it.

Started with two Cap1 cards post BK, one was the credit steps. That card started with a $2000 and has had a few auto CLIs.... up to $5k now.  I have a 3rd card which originally was a Orchard Bank Sears rewards card.  Did the CEO request for a 1k CLI and was countered with $500.  Good for utilization.

- I avoided Cap One because I burned them for a couple cards (my BK7 was entirely CC debt). Then when I started hanging out here at MyFico last summer and saw how BK friendly they are I tried the pre-qual page last Oct. They pre-approved me for Quicksilver and when I app'ed I almost fell off my chair when they approved me for $10k SL & the $100 spend bonus. I love Cap One and take care to treat them right.

Message 32 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

I got in with BOA, the $99/$500 offer, got to start somewhere. Card acutally arrived today and it simply magnificent.

Is that $99/$500 card like Discover secured, in that they don't list it and you can't app directly for it, they have to offer it you?
Message 33 of 1,427
northface28
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:
@northface28 wrote:

I got in with BOA, the $99/$500 offer, got to start somewhere. Card acutally arrived today and it simply magnificent.

Is that $99/$500 card like Discover secured, in that they don't list it and you can't app directly for it, they have to offer it you?

Yes, they have to offer it. As far as I know, you cant app for it.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 34 of 1,427
jim44
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:
@northface28 wrote:

DaveINAZ,   Don't want to get off topic but I feel your pain. Approved for a 100% mortgage back in 06 and struggled for years to keep up both mortgage payments I had a ton of CC's with large CLI's  In fact of all Visas MCs and Discovers no CLI's under 8k. I used convenience checks towards the end to pay my mortgages and also almost drained a 401k. to keep up with credit cards (one year had to pay over 10k to the IRS for taxes and penalities). Much to the dismay of my BK attorney did my best to make all CC payments on time right up to the day of filing.

Post BK, I concentrate on store cards, gas cards for trips and reward cards PIF.  No longer have a desire to pay CC interest and I certainly never want to get past the point  of no return where I'm over my head in debt. BK for me was a lot of depression and guilt!

Message 35 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@jim44 wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:
@northface28 wrote:

DaveINAZ,   Don't want to get off topic but I feel your pain. Approved for a 100% mortgage back in 06 and struggled for years to keep up both mortgage payments I had a ton of CC's with large CLI's  In fact of all Visas MCs and Discovers no CLI's under 8k. I used convenience checks towards the end to pay my mortgages and also almost drained a 401k. to keep up with credit cards (one year had to pay over 10k to the IRS for taxes and penalities). Much to the dismay of my BK attorney did my best to make all CC payments on time right up to the day of filing.

Post BK, I concentrate on store cards, gas cards for trips and reward cards PIF.  No longer have a desire to pay CC interest and I certainly never want to get past the point  of no return where I'm over my head in debt. BK for me was a lot of depression and guilt!

Thanks, JIm. Yes, one thing a BK does for you is to teach you the lesson of never ever let yourself get tinto that situation again. And be more careful - I'm in my 2nd year of health insurance from HealthCare.gov so that unexpected medical expenses can't get me into trouble either.

OK, I app'd for the BoA secured card, I got the "Under Review, we'll send you a letter in 7-10 days" message, and I was thinking Whaat? For a secured card? So I called a back door # (sticky in the CC Appilcations forum). Rep told me I was approved, the only hold up was that I gave them my bank routing & account # for ACH withdrawal of deposit instead of having to mail a check, so they wait until the have the $$$ before making 'final' approval. Well, we'll see if the secured card gets BoA to overlook that little Oopsie of including a FIA issued card in my BK7 back in 2010.

Message 36 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@jim44 wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:
@northface28 wrote:

Thanks, JIm. Yes, one thing a BK does for you is to teach you the lesson of never ever let yourself get tinto that situation again. And be more careful - I'm in my 2nd year of health insurance from HealthCare.gov so that unexpected medical expenses can't get me into trouble either.

OK, I app'd for the BoA secured card, I got the "Under Review, we'll send you a letter in 7-10 days" message, and I was thinking Whaat? For a secured card? So I called a back door # (sticky in the CC Appilcations forum). Rep told me I was approved, the only hold up was that I gave them my bank routing & account # for ACH withdrawal of deposit instead of having to mail a check, so they wait until the have the $$$ before making 'final' approval. Well, we'll see if the secured card gets BoA to overlook that little Oopsie of including a FIA issued card in my BK7 back in 2010.

Nice job getting in Dave! Next time you are on the phone with them you should ask about specific requirements for the card Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 37 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Scupra wrote:
Nice job getting in Dave! Next time you are on the phone with them you should ask about specific requirements for the card Smiley Happy

OK, will do. On the app page they were pushing Chat so I did an online chat first. I told her my CS was around 700 & I have CCs from Cap One & Barclays w/$10k & $7.7k CLs and Lowes & Walmart w/$5k CLs and she said "Well, I would think you would qualify for an unsecured card". Then I told her about my 2010 BK7 and 1 FIA issued card was IIB, and she said "Oh, well maybe you should start with the secured card, but I would think in a few months we can get it upgraded to unsecured". Fingers crossed.

Message 38 of 1,427
northface28
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@jim44 wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:
@northface28 wrote:

Did you try applying for a unsecured prodcut and see if they counter with the $99/$500 offer?

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 39 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Did you try applying for a unsecured prodcut and see if they counter with the $99/$500 offer?

No, I don't like rejection, I was afraid they'd reject me and not make the $99/500 offer and I'd waste a HP. I had $500 stashed away for a splurge and decided to use that for the deposit so I'd get a $500 CL. They work fast - I app'd yesterday afternoon and the ACH withdrawal for the deposit hit my account today. Well, card will be on the way that much faster.

Message 40 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.