Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

I would like to add PNC to the list, BUT with major stipulations:

They really are very much a conservative bank. If you do the apply online it will automatically decline due to BK, and then you have to call in and speak with a rep. I believe they like to see you at least 3-4 years out from BK, with very good rebuilding history. Mostly importantly, what they like to see is a solid relationship. I was approved for a very generous $4500 4 years post BK. I think my approval was mostly due to the type of account that I have, how long I've been with them, and the amount of funds that are in the account. Don't get me wrong, we are not rolling in the green at all, but we do have their cadillac account and our average monthly balance is around 7-9k in our main checking account. That is not including what we have in savings, Reserve, and our IRA accounts (also with PNC). We've banked with PNC since we moved out of B of A territory and into theirs (which has been since 2012). 

I also managed to squeeze in with Discover 4 years post BK. I got a solicitation from them and was declined. 3 months later I decided to try again. I assumed I would get declined again and then I would call in and try to recon for the secured version. This time around they manually reviewed and approved it for $1500. It is now at 3k, from doing all the recent soft pulls. 

Post BK profile: The typical PIF every month (everything is set up to pay statement balance automatically), carrying no balance, limiting the credit seeking. I think I only have about 30k worth in credit. 

I am surprised about people getting approved for the 99/500 B of A. Even though it is secured, it use to be *very* unfriendly towards BK. Sounds like Bank of America is loosening their belt, which is cool!!

Message 71 of 1,427
northface28
Established Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

They really are very much a conservative bank. If you do the apply online it will automatically decline due to BK, and then you have to call in and speak with a rep. I believe they like to see you at least 3-4 years out from BK, with very good rebuilding history. Mostly importantly, what they like to see is a solid relationship. I was approved for a very generous $4500 4 years post BK. I think my approval was mostly due to the type of account that I have, how long I've been with them, and the amount of funds that are in the account. Don't get me wrong, we are not rolling in the green at all, but we do have their cadillac account and our average monthly balance is around 7-9k in our main checking account. That is not including what we have in savings, Reserve, and our IRA accounts (also with PNC). We've banked with PNC since we moved out of B of A territory and into theirs (which has been since 2012). 

I also managed to squeeze in with Discover 4 years post BK. I got a solicitation from them and was declined. 3 months later I decided to try again. I assumed I would get declined again and then I would call in and try to recon for the secured version. This time around they manually reviewed and approved it for $1500. It is now at 3k, from doing all the recent soft pulls. 

Post BK profile: The typical PIF every month (everything is set up to pay statement balance automatically), carrying no balance, limiting the credit seeking. I think I only have about 30k worth in credit. 

I am surprised about people getting approved for the 99/500 B of A. Even though it is secured, it use to be *very* unfriendly towards BK. Sounds like Bank of America is loosening their belt, which is cool!!

I had a previous relationship with BOA and did not burn them for a single penny in BK. YMMV big time with BOA.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 72 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Very new here but I have been reading the forums. So far, I filed 10/31/14 and was d/c on March 1, 2015.

That day I applied and was approved for both Cap One Plat & Quiksilver for $300 each.

Within that week, I was also approved for a Fingerhut account of 4250 (have not even used yet).

My scores are currently at 523.

On 5/26 on a whim while shopping at Kohls, figured I would try again and get my %25 off.

I was floored when I was approved for $300, I'll take it.  =)

Today 5/27 I tried to apply for a Walmart card and a Marathon gas station card and got the

"you'll receive a letter in 7-10 days".

My question is I see you all mention these backdoor numbers to call for recon and someone mentioned

they are on a sticky somewhere, but I can't find them.

Any help and do you even think worth calling for a recon on either of those 2?

I don't know how everyone else is getting approved for higher CL, seems I am stuck at $300 on all.

Message 73 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

if you don't mind I am going to hold off on adding PNC. They are not BK friendly at all and decline most secured card apps due to BK. I think your banking relationship played a MAJOR role in your approval. You seem to be the exception and not the rule though. I don't want to lead any new BK'ers in the wrong direction Smiley Happy If we had more "solid" info, or more approval stats I would be more than happy to add them. On the other hand, CONGRATS on getting in Smiley Very Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 74 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there,

Very new here but I have been reading the forums. So far, I filed 10/31/14 and was d/c on March 1, 2015.

That day I applied and was approved for both Cap One Plat & Quiksilver for $300 each.

Within that week, I was also approved for a Fingerhut account of 4250 (have not even used yet).

My scores are currently at 523.

On 5/26 on a whim while shopping at Kohls, figured I would try again and get my %25 off.

I was floored when I was approved for $300, I'll take it.  =)

Today 5/27 I tried to apply for a Walmart card and a Marathon gas station card and got the

"you'll receive a letter in 7-10 days".

My question is I see you all mention these backdoor numbers to call for recon and someone mentioned

they are on a sticky somewhere, but I can't find them.

Any help and do you even think worth calling for a recon on either of those 2?

I don't know how everyone else is getting approved for higher CL, seems I am stuck at $300 on all.

Welcome to myFICO!!! ALWAYS recon Smiley Very Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 75 of 1,427
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

if you don't mind I am going to hold off on adding PNC. They are not BK friendly at all and decline most secured card apps due to BK. I think your banking relationship played a MAJOR role in your approval. You seem to be the exception and not the rule though. I don't want to lead any new BK'ers in the wrong direction Smiley Happy If we had more "solid" info, or more approval stats I would be more than happy to add them. On the other hand, CONGRATS on getting in Smiley Very Happy

Oh no, I totally understand, I was SHOCKED when I was approved. And I'm not going to kid myself, although I feel like I have done an exceptional job rebuilding my credit the fact is we have tons of products and almost all of our money tied up with PNC (retirement, HSA, their uber checking accounts, savings,  etc). Hands down, if someone asked me how I got approved with PNC my first answer would be my relationship followed by the amount we have with them. I have also read other posts here where people (even without a BK) were declined and when they reconned the rep suggested they increase the amount in their deposit accounts.

That being said, I think if PNC is your main bank even with a BK I believe one could have a chance.

But to the average person credit shopping to rebuild... probably not the best bank to try to get in with. Smiley Happy

Message 76 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

Oh no, I totally understand, I was SHOCKED when I was approved. And I'm not going to kid myself, although I feel like I have done an exceptional job rebuilding my credit the fact is we have tons of products and almost all of our money tied up with PNC (retirement, HSA, their uber checking accounts, savings,  etc). Hands down, if someone asked me how I got approved with PNC my first answer would be my relationship followed by the amount we have with them. I have also read other posts here where people (even without a BK) were declined and when they reconned the rep suggested they increase the amount in their deposit accounts.

That being said, I think if PNC is your main bank even with a BK I believe one could have a chance.

But to the average person credit shopping to rebuild... probably not the best bank to try to get in with. Smiley Happy

I hear they are amazing, so major congrats to you Smiley Happy

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 77 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

So I tried to recon with Walmart but they said since it has already been declined, they can't change it. They said to wait for my letter

and I can re-apply anytime. Should I though?

Victoria's Secret / Comenity Bank said I need to wait for my letter before I can request a recon.

Is any of that normal?

Message 78 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!

So I tried to recon with Walmart but they said since it has already been declined, they can't change it. They said to wait for my letter

and I can re-apply anytime. Should I though?

Victoria's Secret / Comenity Bank said I need to wait for my letter before I can request a recon.

Is any of that normal?

Synchrony: 866-519-6441 (Credit Analyst/Credit Solutions)

Is this the number you are calling for recon on Walmart card?

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 79 of 1,427
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

@aussiesareforever wrote:
Thanks Dave. Your comments are helpful. I didn't burn Amex and I hadn't thought of a different airline card. I might give Venture a try in the next couple months. Once I summon up enough courage to apply for a new card Smiley Happy

Summon up courage? Youre a virtual lock for a Venture.

ItIt is a funny thing. The better my credit has gotten, the more reluctant I am to apply for credit. I'm less than thrilled about the experian inquiry for the Delta Amex card and I'm pondering the benefit of yet another inquiry (triple pull with Capital one) and the effects of a new account on my score. I know, trivial but I honestly don't need new credit. It would be nice to get more travel miles but I have to convince my self that it is actually worth it Smiley Happy

I got an offer today for double rewards on the Discover It for a whole year (2% on purchases and 10% on rotating categories). I thought about it and bit the bullet. I was approved for $5k and I am looking forward to my card arriving. I will stick to using the Discover (Sorry Capital One) until the BK falls off. I may then reconsider an AMEX at that time. 

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 80 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.