Super Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

@northface28 wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

@aussiesareforever wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

Thanks Dave. Your comments are helpful. I didn't burn Amex and I hadn't thought of a different airline card. I might give Venture a try in the next couple months. Once I summon up enough courage to apply for a new card Smiley Happy

Summon up courage? Youre a virtual lock for a Venture.

ItIt is a funny thing. The better my credit has gotten, the more reluctant I am to apply for credit. I'm less than thrilled about the experian inquiry for the Delta Amex card and I'm pondering the benefit of yet another inquiry (triple pull with Capital one) and the effects of a new account on my score. I know, trivial but I honestly don't need new credit. It would be nice to get more travel miles but I have to convince my self that it is actually worth it Smiley Happy

I got an offer today for double rewards on the Discover It for a whole year (2% on purchases and 10% on rotating categories). I thought about it and bit the bullet. I was approved for $5k and I am looking forward to my card arriving. I will stick to using the Discover (Sorry Capital One) until the BK falls off. I may then reconsider an AMEX at that time. 

Woooohoo! Congrats on the Discover approval Smiley Happy They have been sending me pre approved offers once a week lately!

Still dont know how you weaseled your way in with Chase. Going to go for Discover?

I applied and made a recon call Smiley Happy I am not going to pull the trigger yet, in the garden and trying to be good. 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 91 of 1,427
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I have been getting the Discover prequal in the mail for about six months now. Sometimes I get 2-3 a week. I can't beleive they spend so much money (and kill so many trees!!) trying to get people to apply. Funny enough, it was a blog post by one of the smart money people that made me pull the trigger, not one of Discover's gizzillion mail Smiley Happy

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 92 of 1,427
Frank54
Established Member

I'm not sure how i got it but 2 months after my bankruptcy was discharged (Jan 2015) , the first card I applied for was DiscoverIT. (filled the form online ) Got approved for $800 unsecured. I then also applied for Credit One (i'm trying to follow some of the guidelines posted here), Credit one approved me for $500.

Right now I'm only using DiscoverIT to pay for myFico and that is it. I'm not using myCredit One.

I think this is the right path from what I read.

I don't qualify for a credit union otherwise I would look to do a secured line of credit. Don't really want to this through a nationwide type bank...

Message 93 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome Frank54!

Wow! Congrats on your approvals! That is unusual for Discover, from what I've read on these boards. Care to share your current FICO scores? Did you have a relationship with Discover before your BK?

Thanks!

Message 94 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Frank54 wrote:

I'm not sure how i got it but 2 months after my bankruptcy was discharged (Jan 2015) , the first card I applied for was DiscoverIT. (filled the form online ) Got approved for $800 unsecured. I then also applied for Credit One (i'm trying to follow some of the guidelines posted here), Credit one approved me for $500.

Right now I'm only using DiscoverIT to pay for myFico and that is it. I'm not using myCredit One.

I think this is the right path from what I read.

I don't qualify for a credit union otherwise I would look to do a secured line of credit. Don't really want to this through a nationwide type bank...

Awesome job! Discover is, odd Smiley Very Happy haha They are all over the place with approvals it seems like.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 95 of 1,427
Frank54
Established Member

Thank you 700in2015.

All my score were in the mid to high 500 on Experian and Transunion. Equifax was in the low 600, (Don't know why the differences between these agencies)..  Once I got the DiscoverIt, the scores all went slightly above 600 (603-615 with Equifax at 663.)  No recent relationship with them. I think the last time I had a Discover had to be 20 years ago which I ended up closing because i never used it.

Since I can't get a secured credit line through the Navy Credit Union, I just applied to and was accepted by NASA FCU. All you have to do (if you're not on their approved employers' list) is to become a member of an approved scientific organization. So first I became a member of aaas.org (cost $99) and applied online at NASA FCU. Interesting thing was that NASA never asked for my membership number. It may be that you check the "member of scientific organization" without actually being a member, thereby saving you the $99.

NASA FCU does offer a secure line of credit (min $1000) so I''ll report on the process once I go through it. .

Message 96 of 1,427
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

Capital One is like a battered wife ,they just can't quit you. I filed on them with a chapter 13 on 3 cards years ago and was able to get 2 more and then getting custody of 4 nieces and nephews after my mom died caused me to have to file chapter 7 on 2/12/15 and they just approved me for a couple more with my discharge scheduled for tomorrow. 

Message 97 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I've been following this forum (well part 1) since January. I'm loving all the information I've been getting from you guys. As for me...

Ch7 Discharged: 5/15/15
Only on 2 Cap1 cards (Quicksilver MC and Platinum MC) as an AU
Just decided to try my luck this morning:
FingerHut: Approved 500
DiscoverIt offered the Secured card so of course I took it!
I tried Cap1 Quicksilver and Journey. Denied! Wishful thinking I guess. I burn Cap1 a little in the BK.

TranUn: 520
EQ: 556
EX: 580
Message 98 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned Cap1 and Discover in my bk7 discharged in April.

I just cleaned up my report and apped for Cap1 because I wasn't getting anything on the prequalifier. I didn't get approved for even the secured card. According to CK and my TU dispute page, no pulls, so I think I must be blacklisted? How long does this last?

I also thought I was being clever and decided to try to Apple shopping cart Barclay's just for the hell of it, but ended up with a TU hard pull. Should that have happened? I don't recall clicking anything to consent to a hard pull. Do I have any recourse?

I did bite the bullet and app Credit One and got a card with a $75 annual fee and a $400 credit limit. I also have a Dell account that accidentally survived my BK (forgot about it) and hasn't been closed. I have looked into it, and it is active.

I am thinking I will just put my $7.99 Netflix on the Credit One card each month. Do I need to utilize it more than that? Also, should I find something not-too-pricey to buy from Dell just to utilize the $6000 credit line there? Should I not mess with the Dell line since I am not supposed to have that account?

I have a ton of installment lines through my reaffirmed mortgage and as a student loan co-signer. Is this enough credit to work on rebuilding? Should I do one more app? If so, which one? I live in Chicago and am eligible for BCU membership. SHould I go for that?

Message 99 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I also have a BoA checking account with a balance in it. Will this help me get a BoA secured card, or is that out of the question with a recent BK on my record?

Message 100 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.