Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

@CWESTL wrote:

This was a good week and I hope provides optimism for those that have filed BK. I filed Chapter 7 BK in May 2013 (discharged August 2013) and have carefully rebuilt my financial standing along with my credit. I included most major credit cards (AMEX, Discover, BOA, Citibank, etc.) in my BK filing. This week and approximately 6 years post my BK filing date I was approved for an AMEX Cash Magnet card with a SL of $10K. I'm elated to be back in with AMEX. Most importantly I'm very thankful for this forum as it has given me the information necessary to make sound application decisions. I've had an 100% approval rate post BK due to the advice provided in this forum and the discipline to remain patient.  

@CWESTL , that wonderful!! Congrats to you. We had the same file and DC months.

I wanted to point out for others that before they go apping for the big dogs like Amex etc.. please do your research here first! Amex will only let you back in if they weren't IIB, or if they were paid back in full if you burned them, and you also have to be 5 yrs plus 1 mo post DC to apply. Smiley Wink

Message 1201 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read through this thread last week and don't remember seeing anyone mention the First National/Legacy credit card or First Savings credit card. They have high interest rates, of course. But I was approved for Legacy for $750 3 months post Ch. 7 discharge and First Savings for $500 4 months post discharge. I've had the cards for about 9 and 10 months now and havent had any problems. Their customer service has been pretty good. I just keep low utilization or pay in full to avoid the high interest. Hasn't been a bad experience, especially being so fresh out of bankruptcy when I was approved.
Message 1202 of 1,427
CWESTL
Regular Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@CWESTL wrote:

This was a good week and I hope provides optimism for those that have filed BK. I filed Chapter 7 BK in May 2013 (discharged August 2013) and have carefully rebuilt my financial standing along with my credit. I included most major credit cards (AMEX, Discover, BOA, Citibank, etc.) in my BK filing. This week and approximately 6 years post my BK filing date I was approved for an AMEX Cash Magnet card with a SL of $10K. I'm elated to be back in with AMEX. Most importantly I'm very thankful for this forum as it has given me the information necessary to make sound application decisions. I've had an 100% approval rate post BK due to the advice provided in this forum and the discipline to remain patient.  

@CWESTL , that wonderful!! Congrats to you. We had the same file and DC months.

I wanted to point out for others that before they go apping for the big dogs like Amex etc.. please do your research here first! Amex will only let you back in if they weren't IIB, or if they were paid back in full if you burned them, and you also have to be 5 yrs plus 1 mo post DC to apply. Smiley Wink

Thanks @pizza1. I've read the numerous posts outlining AMEX policies and it seems my approval defies the standard practice. AMEX (Optima/Blue) was included and discharged in my Chapter 7 bankruptcy for approximately $8-9K. I haven't repaid AMEX nor agreed to to do so.  .  . Yet I was instantly approved for $10K after eyeing their prequalification tool for approximately a year. Prior to five years the prequalification tool wouldn't produce options. However, the AMEX Platinum and Gold were listed as preapproval options as recent as a few months ago. This led me to apply. There may be specific credit profile metrics that make approval decisions much more nuanced than standardly assumed. My income and net worth are somewhat higher due in part to a few great investments and disciplined decisions made post BK. Additionally, my credit profile is diversified with auto, mortgage, and other accounts. I only had one inquiry in the last year and two or less (depending on the credit bureau pulled) across my credit profile in the last two years. There's seemingly more to AMEX approval decisions.   

It's also interesting that I'm listed as a AMEX member since the 90's as this reflects when I originally opened an AMEX as a teenager. 

Chapter 7 Discharge Aug 2013 (Removed 2022 & 2023)
Jan 2024 EQ FICO 8 840
Jan 2024 TU FICO 8 779
Jan 2024 EX FICO 8 788
Jan 2024 EQ FICO 9 824 AMEX Cash Magnet $26K; AMEX Platinum NPSL, POT $27.5K; Cap One QS World MC $11k; Cap One Venture Sign VS $30k; Chase Sapphire Pref $18K; Citi Simplicity $7K; NFCU AMEX Rwds $28k; NFCU VS Sign Cash Rwds $24.1k; NFCU Plat VS $19k; Wells Fargo Reflect $25K; Mercury (previously Barclay Rwds MC) $5750k; Lowes $35k; Neiman Marcus $44k; Discover It $11.5k; Discover It $19.5K; Venmo Visa Sign $20K; Barclaycard (AU) $25.5K; Discover (AU) $19.5k New Mortgage Jan 2016 & Nonreaffirmed Mortgage Refinance Nov 2020; HELOC @ 2.75% Apr 2022; New Auto July 2017; NFCU LOC $20K
GOAL 820 FICOs on ALL 3 CRs by JANUARY 2025.
AMEX Lowes Business $25K
AMEX Business LOC $25K
Chase Ink Business Unlimited $26.5K; US Bank Business Platinum $10K
Message 1203 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved 3 months post discharge with Discover, I did not burn, on pre qualify link but have not been approved yet with capital one pre qualify link and though I have seen approvals without pre qualify Im taking her easy. I had one PenFed card survive bk somehow however the strongest increase by far on my credit scores was from a secured personal loan with NavyFed which other credit unions have as well as regions and over a secured card which graduates which is nice also, the NavyFed does not put a pull not hard or soft so cant be denied unless they are burned I read there is a possibility you many not get a bank account with them which I believe may be needed. I placed $250 with them it was returned right away payments monthly $41ish which is returned right around, so over a secured card that you many not be able to tie up some cash with this may be an option. Hope this also helps out want to return the favor for all the help I received!

Message 1204 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting, how long out of discharge were you approved with Navy Federal credit?

Message 1205 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy hard pulls for everything except membership. Sometimes you can get a soft with a CLI, but more often then not, it's also a hard pull.
Message 1206 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, I am almost two years in a CH13(not discharged) and wondering when I can get approved for atleast a secured Discover card. Never had them so they are not burned. But I am guessing I have to wait I am discharged.
Message 1207 of 1,427
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Have you check their prequalifier? It is pretty accurate.
Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 1208 of 1,427
coreyb80
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yea, I am almost two years in a CH13(not discharged) and wondering when I can get approved for atleast a secured Discover card. Never had them so they are not burned. But I am guessing I have to wait I am discharged.

Yeah Discover won't touch you while in a 13.  I'm 2.5 years in to mine and tried the prequal with no luck.  I'll wait till my discharge.

Message 1209 of 1,427
Yeliaba1
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn’t give up on Discover.  At 3.5 yrs into my Ch13, I was prequalified on Discover.  I applied expecting to be offered their secured card.  To my surprise, I was approved for $2200 Discover It.  A few days later, I was approved for Navy’s secured card.  That graduated 5 months later with a CLI to $2K.  I am sure, I have read posts of others having similar success, so don’t completely close the door to those options.

Message 1210 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.