cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2


@fadetoz wrote:

Could someone reccommend me a third card? I'm three months post discharge and I currently have two cards.

 

Capital One Platinum - 2k

Mission Lane Visa - 1k

 

I know that I need one more and I have tried to get back in w/ USAA (I had a 0 balance card with them that eas cancelled after filing but I did not burn them) but was declined. I burned Navy Federal so not even going to bother with them. The Discover prequal declines me because of a prior account (also had 0 balance card with them that closed after filing.) I've heard bad things about Credit One so haven't applied with them yet. I've been using my current two cards for Netflix, YouTube, etc and just paying off before due date. Very small usage.

 

Experian - 662

Transunion - 680

Equifax - 683


Have you tried BB&T prequalify? It's a SP, and you may not get anything, but then you might. 

Have you tried Discover prequalify? It was my first card post-BK7 as a secured card, but graduated with a nice CLI 7 months later.

Subprime : Merrick Bank (not sure if they are by invite now), Blaze MC (they do auto SP CLIs)

 

Good luck!

 










RIP:

INSTALLMENTS:
11 years more payments!!



GOALS:
• [X] $10k revolving CL by 2021
• Apple Card (too sexy not to have) by 2021
• [X] Just one more cash back rewards card by 2021
• [X] Student Loans (27, yes, 27 of them) out of rehab and default by 6/2020
• [___] FICO 670 by end of 2020: [___]EX [___]TU [__X__]EQ
• [X] PC Cap1 to QS 5/2020 - 100 days after opening; credit steps done 8/2020
• [X] PC Discover—to DiscIt 5% 3/2020
Message 1351 of 1,361
Highlighted
Established Member

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

Discover seems pretty good to me. I never burned them, and I had an AmEx survive the BK 7 somehow, it was a 0 balance card and it's still active. I was discharged in June '19, and got a prequal from Discover and chose the IT card. They gave me a 10k CL. This was about 5 months post discharge. I've since gotten an Ollo card with a 3k CL and did a self lender loan. My scores are all in the high 600's but I haven't checked them since April, I'll be checking again in the fall to get my scores.

Message 1352 of 1,361
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2


@fadetoz wrote:

Could someone reccommend me a third card? I'm three months post discharge and I currently have two cards.

 

Capital One Platinum - 2k

Mission Lane Visa - 1k

 

I know that I need one more and I have tried to get back in w/ USAA (I had a 0 balance card with them that eas cancelled after filing but I did not burn them) but was declined. I burned Navy Federal so not even going to bother with them. The Discover prequal declines me because of a prior account (also had 0 balance card with them that closed after filing.) I've heard bad things about Credit One so haven't applied with them yet. I've been using my current two cards for Netflix, YouTube, etc and just paying off before due date. Very small usage.

 

Experian - 662

Transunion - 680

Equifax - 683



It's not the best but not the worst, but I just got my Avant $1,000 AF $39 2 years post D/C. They had been sending me preapprovals about 1.5 years post DC and 1 year after I established credit. I didn't want another AF card, but I closed my CreditOne and FingerHut closed my account and my FICO8 got dinged like 20 points. So Petal is preferred but iffy about BK friendly while Avant is BK friendly post 1 year rebuild with revolving credit. Both Petal and Avant have prequalify with Petals prequal coming back online today after being down for months due to COVID.

 

EDIT: This is from later on in the day.

 

Amazon Prime store card $2100 APPROVED!

 

I'm a few days post 2 years Ch 7 BK and just pulled the trigger on Amazon Prime store card. TU has been my lowest and took further hits because I applied for an Avant card today and they hit TU already. So I was at 640 TU - the hit from the first HP today. Figured I would get denied for being 630 ish for TU after the hit from the Avant card HP and was surprised with $2100 given my low LOC after I cancelled my CreditOne, Merrick secured and Fingerhut closed my card for no activity, my LOC dropped by like 1/3 and my score took a hit.

 

Throwing this out there for anyone else as I have been scouring the forums for hours for data points similar to mine.

CH 7 BK DC: 07/18
FICO 04/19: EX 601, EQ 632, TU 589
FICO 05/20: EX 660, EQ 670, TU 638
IIBK: Chase, BoA, Citi, CapOne, Discover
Rebuild: 03/19: CreditOne $300, FingerHut $400, Merrick $200, LendUp $750, CapOne Plat $500, Self Lender 2 year.
07/20: Mission Lane $950, CapOne Plat (QS) $850, QS1 $1,000, Avant $1,000, Overstock $300, Amazon Prime Store $2100, Mercury $3000
Message 1353 of 1,361
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

Have you tried Blaze Mastercard?  They are BK Friendly and the starting limits are solid.  

Message 1354 of 1,361
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

Hey guys, I have a question. I've been digging around here and reading all the advice I can get. Up until last year I have always had perfect credit, never any missed payments, etc. But, my ex-wife was not the same way, and shortly before our divorce, she ran all my accounts up well outside of a level that I could manage after. I had to file bankruptcy with the divorce and it was discharged March 11 of this year. I immediately got the Credit One card, CL $300, and going to $500 next month and also got the Capital One Platinum card, CL $300 which they raised to $400 and will go to $500 automatically next month. I've been looking for a 3rd card but just got received the eligibility to upgrade my Capital One Platinum card to the Quicksilver, not QS1. I was already looking at this card but with no pre-qual option for anything other then the QS1 I wasn't going to apply. I want to be able to grow my credit limits, that's the primary goal. So my question is, would this be a good move upgrading this card or not? I didn't know if upgrading a card would allow me the increase the limits, etc the same way as applying for a new one. Thank you for any advice. 

 

Also, I've basically just held these cards, very minor usage the first month and pif but have left sitting since which I see on here that Capital One doesn't like so will switch to using a lot and pif weekly. CK currently showing TU -647 and Equifax - 667.

 

Prior to BK I had the Amex Platinum which was my primary spend and pif every month card, Amex Blue Cash - 9k L, Discover It - 12.9 L, Citi Card 8K L, and Chase Ink Business Preferred - 7K L.





NFCU SSL Builder Loan $3,010 @ 2.25% on 60 months. Immediately paid down to 8% loan utilization. I'm letting it ride until the last payment on 7/26/2025!
Message 1355 of 1,361
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

Alright, guys, update from the post above. I went ahead and upgraded my Capital One Platinum card, no AF, to the Quicksilver, not QS1, with no AF as well. I'm going to start using this card heavily and just pif weekly except for 8% of it and pay that off the day the bill comes out as recommended throughout. Hopefully, that will help with the CL increases over time. I'll just put the Credit One card in the drawer and let it ride. I would really like to get the 3rd card to optimize gardening from here on out and Discover is a no on even a secured I guess since they were included. I would really like for the 3rd card to just be a business card. I hate not having one for separation purposes and just use business debit for everything but would like to have a card to get some perks and also help build the business score and my personal score. The only business account I ever had outside of checking/saving/investment accounts at the bank was the Chase card which was iib. What are your guys' thoughts on applying for the Capital One Spark Classic card? It reports to personal as well as business which is a plus in my case right now, acting as my 3rd reporting. I haven't found much on this card post bk. Anyone got this shortly after bk, timelines, should I wait until the 6 mark month for my first Capital One card, I've read it both ways with Capital One and new accounts? Thanks.





NFCU SSL Builder Loan $3,010 @ 2.25% on 60 months. Immediately paid down to 8% loan utilization. I'm letting it ride until the last payment on 7/26/2025!
Message 1356 of 1,361
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2


@Back2Reality wrote:

@fadetoz wrote:

Could someone reccommend me a third card? I'm three months post discharge and I currently have two cards.

 

Capital One Platinum - 2k

Mission Lane Visa - 1k

 

I know that I need one more and I have tried to get back in w/ USAA (I had a 0 balance card with them that eas cancelled after filing but I did not burn them) but was declined. I burned Navy Federal so not even going to bother with them. The Discover prequal declines me because of a prior account (also had 0 balance card with them that closed after filing.) I've heard bad things about Credit One so haven't applied with them yet. I've been using my current two cards for Netflix, YouTube, etc and just paying off before due date. Very small usage.

 

Experian - 662

Transunion - 680

Equifax - 683


Have you tried BB&T prequalify? It's a SP, and you may not get anything, but then you might. 

Have you tried Discover prequalify? It was my first card post-BK7 as a secured card, but graduated with a nice CLI 7 months later.

Subprime : Merrick Bank (not sure if they are by invite now), Blaze MC (they do auto SP CLIs)

 

Good luck!

 


Don't forget, as you yourself wrote on a thread Mercury MC is BK friendly too. I saw them pop up on Credit Karma for me and googled it and saw your thread and remembered they sent me mailers before. I didn't realize they were no AF so I went on their site and clicked respond to mail then clicked on no code and sure enough my first $3,000 card with no AF.

CH 7 BK DC: 07/18
FICO 04/19: EX 601, EQ 632, TU 589
FICO 05/20: EX 660, EQ 670, TU 638
IIBK: Chase, BoA, Citi, CapOne, Discover
Rebuild: 03/19: CreditOne $300, FingerHut $400, Merrick $200, LendUp $750, CapOne Plat $500, Self Lender 2 year.
07/20: Mission Lane $950, CapOne Plat (QS) $850, QS1 $1,000, Avant $1,000, Overstock $300, Amazon Prime Store $2100, Mercury $3000
Message 1357 of 1,361
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2


@Phoenixupward wrote:

Have you tried Blaze Mastercard?  They are BK Friendly and the starting limits are solid.  


Their AF is like CreditOne level high.

CH 7 BK DC: 07/18
FICO 04/19: EX 601, EQ 632, TU 589
FICO 05/20: EX 660, EQ 670, TU 638
IIBK: Chase, BoA, Citi, CapOne, Discover
Rebuild: 03/19: CreditOne $300, FingerHut $400, Merrick $200, LendUp $750, CapOne Plat $500, Self Lender 2 year.
07/20: Mission Lane $950, CapOne Plat (QS) $850, QS1 $1,000, Avant $1,000, Overstock $300, Amazon Prime Store $2100, Mercury $3000
Message 1358 of 1,361
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

@Constant_Gardener @I thought Mercury was by invite only which is why I didn't mention it, but congrats to you🎈










RIP:

INSTALLMENTS:
11 years more payments!!



GOALS:
• [X] $10k revolving CL by 2021
• Apple Card (too sexy not to have) by 2021
• [X] Just one more cash back rewards card by 2021
• [X] Student Loans (27, yes, 27 of them) out of rehab and default by 6/2020
• [___] FICO 670 by end of 2020: [___]EX [___]TU [__X__]EQ
• [X] PC Cap1 to QS 5/2020 - 100 days after opening; credit steps done 8/2020
• [X] PC Discover—to DiscIt 5% 3/2020
Message 1359 of 1,361
Highlighted
Member

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2


@Constant_Gardener wrote:

@Back2Reality wrote:

@fadetoz wrote:

Could someone reccommend me a third card? I'm three months post discharge and I currently have two cards.

 

Capital One Platinum - 2k

Mission Lane Visa - 1k

 

I know that I need one more and I have tried to get back in w/ USAA (I had a 0 balance card with them that eas cancelled after filing but I did not burn them) but was declined. I burned Navy Federal so not even going to bother with them. The Discover prequal declines me because of a prior account (also had 0 balance card with them that closed after filing.) I've heard bad things about Credit One so haven't applied with them yet. I've been using my current two cards for Netflix, YouTube, etc and just paying off before due date. Very small usage.

 

Experian - 662

Transunion - 680

Equifax - 683


Have you tried BB&T prequalify? It's a SP, and you may not get anything, but then you might. 

Have you tried Discover prequalify? It was my first card post-BK7 as a secured card, but graduated with a nice CLI 7 months later.

Subprime : Merrick Bank (not sure if they are by invite now), Blaze MC (they do auto SP CLIs)

 

Good luck!

 


Don't forget, as you yourself wrote on a thread Mercury MC is BK friendly too. I saw them pop up on Credit Karma for me and googled it and saw your thread and remembered they sent me mailers before. I didn't realize they were no AF so I went on their site and clicked respond to mail then clicked on no code and sure enough my first $3,000 card with no AF.


Thank you. I was able to get a $750 cl card from Mercury. I tried their "don't have reservation code" and it didn't find me in the system of course but I tried a couple weeks later and it let me apply for their card. I'm guessing that triggers something in their system if anyone else wants to try that. Anyway that'll do it for me. I just wanted a third card for the rebuild and having no annual fees on all three feels great. Thanks everyone.

Message 1360 of 1,361
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.