tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

Message 891 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that ^^didn’t go as planned. I tried PenFed this week, 12 months post d/c and was denied BUT the loan officer suggested a secured Share Loan with them to build my credit some more, so I’m going to do that.

I was approved last week for a Discover It card with a $12K limit and for a Capital One Quicksilver. Not sure if the limit yet as I called the toll free number and got the app status after getting the 7-10 day review message followed by a call so they could verify that it was me who’d applied.
Message 892 of 1,427
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well that ^^didn’t go as planned. I tried PenFed this week, 12 months post d/c and was denied BUT the loan officer suggested a secured Share Loan with them to build my credit some more, so I’m going to do that.

I was approved last week for a Discover It card with a $12K limit and for a Capital One Quicksilver. Not sure if the limit yet as I called the toll free number and got the app status after getting the 7-10 day review message followed by a call so they could verify that it was me who’d applied.

What are your scores looking like?

Message 893 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! What are your Fico scores?

Message 894 of 1,427
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

What do you do when you have literally burned every major bank pretty much? Lol. Here's my list of everyone I burned:

American Express

Bank of America

Barclays

Capital One

Chase (burned them biggg time lol)

Citi

Comenity (PayPal Credit)

Discover

Huntington Bank

Lake Michigan Credit Union

Synchrony (Lowes....for only $150 smh)

I was discharged 10/3/17. Already approved for Credit One for $500. What should my next course of action be since I burned everyone and their mother? Lol

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 895 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get an Open Sky secured card. They do not do a credit check and they report to all 3 credit bureaus as being unsecured (even though they are secured).

take out a starter self loan at a CU for some nominal amount, like $500.00 and/or If you  do not have a car loan, consider getting one.

wait a few months and then try for the Cap1 secured card. It's possible you might be able to get a Cap1 sooner. 

Cap1 also reports to all 3 credit bureaus as unsecured.

Always pay your balances on time and in full every month. Never let your utilization go above 9% of your CL.

when your scores rise and you have a few months of activity on your trade lines, then you can consider adding other cards.

Message 896 of 1,427
stinastina
Established Contributor

@Kb109 wrote:

What do you do when you have literally burned every major bank pretty much? Lol. Here's my list of everyone I burned:

American Express

Bank of America

Barclays

Capital One

Citi

Comenity (PayPal Credit)

Discover

Huntington Bank

I was discharged 10/3/17. Already approved for Credit One for $500. What should my next course of action be since I burned everyone and their mother? Lol

Try Merrick - they have a preapproval site. Also you didn't post your scores so if your EQ is 650 plus, open an account with Penfed and apply for a Promise card. If you are eligible for Navy Fed Credit Union, open an account and choose a card you like.

If you need a plan to rebuild, go wiith this thread - very helpful:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 897 of 1,427
J-F168
Frequent Contributor

I started with "Open Sky secured card" when my credit score were in low 400's - 500's and no one would give me a secure/unsecure credit card. In my humble opinion I belive that it is too early to apply for Penfed...I was declined several time in one yr. Of course YWMV. Does'n hurt to try newly Discover pre-approval site, or capital one, wish you all the best and quick recovering Smiley Happy

EX 716 - EQ 707 - TU 724
BK 7 D/C Dec '16.
Message 898 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kb109 wrote:

American Express

Bank of America

Barclays

Capital One

Citi

Comenity (PayPal Credit)

Discover

Huntington Bank

I burned Cap One for about 13k. Three weeks after discharge they approved me for a card with a 3k SL. I know I was very lucky (I was also an AU on a few of my wife's cards and she has very good credit), but you never know. 

Message 899 of 1,427
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice!! I applied and was denied for a Capital One secured card (I know, I jumped the gun way too quick) due to "recent delinquencies" with them. I was never delinquent with them or any creditor prior to my filing, but I understand. Thankfully it was only a soft inquiry. I'll try again after 4-6 months of positive payment history with my two crappy cards lol.

Regarding USAA, I do not qualify at all even though my father works for the Department of Defense (as a civilian, and he's not a veteran). PenFed I am not sure what their requirements are. I may try for a secured card at my local credit union, but they are so stingy when it comes to lending even when I had 780+ scores. It's my own money I am borrowing against, so I do not understand why lenders are so quick to deny applications for secured cards. I will try with my credit union in a few months. I also found another CU in my area that offers a credit-builder type loan, which is also borrowing against my own savings, but I'll take what I can get at this point lol.

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 900 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.