Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Recovery (1 year later) -- Seeking Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy Recovery (1 year later) -- Seeking Advice

So - I filed a chapter 7 last March and I'm coming up on my 1 year.  

• I have two public records,  one a judgment dismissed in bankruptcy, and the bankruptcy itself.
  • I have 4 credit cards currently.  Credit One -$400 limit | Kohls $300 Limit | Paypal Extra (MasterCard) $300 Limit | Walmart - $400 Limit
    Currently; 0 balance, no missed payments. 
  • My creditkarma score is finally fair @ 650 exactly.  

My question/advice seeking is:

What would you recommend I do in the next 6 months to increase my score to 700?  (If possible) 

Any way tips/tricks to removing bad info?

Additonal Information:

I have pulled all three of my reports (via mail) and am going to work on getting stuff removed if possible.  I have 8 accounts closed. 7 with dergatory remarks.  I've actually had some success with getting a couple things removed.  I figure it can't hurt to try. 

I've even cleaned up my lexis nexis report (public info)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR RESPONSES! 

19 REPLIES 19
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Recovery (1 year later) -- Seeking Advice

I would just garden the cards you have and try to clean your reports up Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noted.  I'll take that adivce!

If anyone else wants to chime in ...  the more the merrier! 

Message 3 of 20
Scupra
Super Contributor

Did you burn Cap1? The only other thing that sticks out is replacing that credit one card. Make sure to replace it with a major issuer and not a store card. Have you checked the Cap1 pre qualifier maybe?
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did...   it wasn't for a lot,  but I doubt that matters. 

On the idea of closing my Credit One card,  I haven't had it for a year yet - would that look bad to have a closed account? 

If it would look bad, or negatively effect my credit score, should I keep the Credit One and just look to get a major issuer card?

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggestion is to leave a small balance on one of your cards so that it reports, then pay it. One account showing a balance makes for higher scores than all accounts showing zero. Just my take.

Edited to add. I would keep my Credit One card for now, but leave a zero balance each month. 

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was prequal'd for a quicksilver (1.5% cashback - $39 annual fee)  & Platinum (No annual fee)

What are your thoughts on getting a credit card through my bank?   Does that increase my mortage options with them?

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed - and I've read this before.  I'll definitely do that. 

Is there a card that's better than another to do that with? (outside of benefits that come with the card)  ...  not sure if certain cards (issuers) hold more 'clout' in the credit game? 

Message 8 of 20
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

No, cards don't hold more "clout" over other cards.  You don't get more points for having an Amex vs having CapOne.  The biggest difference will be that "sub-prime" lenders like credit one will usually have very high fees associated with the credit card, so it will cost you more money to use those lenders, and you will probably not get any rewards or cash back options.  The limits of the cards you have can help your score, and usually you will not get huge limits with those sub prime lenders.  The only other thing to consider is that if a card reports as "secured" it might be looked at slightly less favorably by some lenders than an unsecured credit card, but at the end of the day a secured card is going to be much better than no card if you are having trouble getting approvals, and you can use them to build history to get unsecured later.  Try to go for cards that will graduate over time.

Did you burn capital one?  They are pretty forgiving with BK even if you did burn them and can be a good way to get away from store cards and credit one.  You could also look at discover secured, navy federal secured, or possibly another credit union in your area if they are BK friendly.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 9 of 20
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous if you are pre qualified for Cap1 it's pretty solid usually! I wasn't saying to close the credit one, just be aware that you will want to replace it. I may be a bad influence, but I might app for the Cap1 now haha!
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.