Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Removal from Credit rating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy Removal from Credit rating

In 2002 we contimplated Bankruptcy and paid a lawyer to set it up for us.  We then got cold feet and did not appear in court.  The lawyer called and said we had another date but we refused to go and paid our bills off. The problem is that it appears as a Dismissed Bankruptcy on my T.U. and I have never had one. We have disputed it but to no avail. Any advise on helping us remove it?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Removal from Credit rating

@Anonymous wrote:

In 2002 we contimplated Bankruptcy and paid a lawyer to set it up for us.  We then got cold feet and did not appear in court.  The lawyer called and said we had another date but we refused to go and paid our bills off. The problem is that it appears as a Dismissed Bankruptcy on my T.U. and I have never had one. We have disputed it but to no avail. Any advise on helping us remove it?

Thanks

BK PR reporting is based on filing not discharge. If you filed BK it is properly reporting and cannot be removed until it falls off.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where I am confused is that we never went to court nor ever apepared before the judge.  We were told that it would not be approved if we did not show up and it was rescheduled.  We did not show up and told our lawyer that we did not want it. How could it be condiered dismissed if it was never inacted?
Message 3 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You filed for a BK and it was entered as such and became a PR (Public Record).

You did not persue the BK so it was dismissed rather than discharged.

Message 4 of 5
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Where I am confused is that we never went to court nor ever apepared before the judge.  We were told that it would not be approved if we did not show up and it was rescheduled.  We did not show up and told our lawyer that we did not want it. How could it be condiered dismissed if it was never inacted?

The simple act of filing is a matter of public record and reportable.

Does filing and then having the case dismissed have a negative effect on your credit?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.