Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy and BMW Lease

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy and BMW Lease

Used to be a sales manager and I'm willing to bet big money BMW won't get you funded. Your profile isn't strong enough and you may think you can afford an $800 payment, but there are calculations that each lender will use to determine what you can afford. Don't ever put money down on a lease, major waste.. If you need to pay the TT&L down so you aren't rolling that into the loan. With BMW you should be putting down MSD's and shooting for 15-18% off MSRP. Not to be harsh, you should be dumping all this extra cash you don't know how to spend into investments and buying your BMW with cash.. GL
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad I got some pointers. Won’t consider a lease hopefully I can use 3000$ down towards some type of Beamer. I commute a few hours a day and the accord is fun but I know it can be better.
Message 12 of 35
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Why is a BMW so important to you and your mother? 1 year out of Bk, and you want a luxury car? My advice, is to get settled financially first, and maybe just get a used BMW if you just have to have one.
Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s just for me, my stepfather won’t sign for me so we are trying with her credit. I’ve never missed a payment neither have I missed a repair. I shouldn’t have a problem if I get approved. If the bmw wouldn’t have been a luxury car I would’ve still opted for it.
Message 14 of 35
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

BMW aside, getting a new car, especially a lease, seems like the wrong play here. Even with a co-signer. I'd finance used and let the credit improve another 6-12 months minimum following our rebuild strategies. Then look at something more expensive maybe and at a better rate. And I'd say the same even if you were looking at a new Kia. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started a 48$/month credit builder with SelfLender for 12 months to try to improve MY score..
Message 16 of 35
nykos5000
Regular Contributor

That is a good start. This will definitely help your score over the next year. As well try and start opening some credit cards and use them responsibly. As far as trying to score a BMW lease a year after a BK would be tough. BMW FS would want to see some auto rebuild in addition to your on time payments from credit cards, unsecured loans, etc. 

BK7 08/2016 | DC 12/2016

Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your credit lines like currently? I ask because you’re going to likely need them. You mention having too much money you don’t spend. A BMW will provide all the spending avenues you could ever hope for.

Buying or leasing a new one is smarter than getting an older one, and getting one without a warranty is flat out dumb. They’re amazing in their young years but devolve into steaming, fly-covered piles of you-know-what as the miles add up.

I had my MSport 540i for a little over three years. I do all my own work, have for 20+ years, the majority of which time was spent wrenching on BMW, Audi, VW, and the like. My car came with a huge stack of service records. What the car had had invested in maintenance would’ve paid for a lower-end 3-series new off the lot.

The MSport was a beautiful car for sure, comfortable and fast, amazing handling...and was always multi-broken. There were always at least three issues I was driving around, the car’s V8 consumed 22 ignition coils, it had the famous valley pan coolant drip, CCV failed three times, driveshaft center bearing failed, both engine mounts and both transmission mounts crumbled (leaving the drivetrain seated in the car by the failing diff mount and the grace of God), nav drive took a dump (taking out the screen with it since the screen driver is in the nav drive - used ones online were $700+, new ones were $LOLgetouttahere), power steering pump mounting bracket was built into the PS pump casing and would break off the upper front mount tab, necessitating a whole new pump, and on and on and on. It was almost comical how much of a POS the car was, and it was maintained ahead of schedule to boot. Just unbelievable.

You ready to deal with garbage like that for the privilege of impressing strangers? There are lots of nice cars out there, and there are times and places for them. This fresh from a BK with sub-600 scores is neither the place nor time for a BMW. Good scores, disposable cash, and two other reliable daily drivers that allow a BMW to be a pleasure car a couple times a week is a little closer to the right thing. Or you could repeatedly beat yourself over the head while burning your wallet - same experience.

7CB468C4-2C79-47A0-8C77-DAC0031EE3BA.jpeg

Message 18 of 35
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

What are your credit lines like currently? I ask because you’re going to likely need them. You mention having too much money you don’t spend. A BMW will provide all the spending avenues you could ever hope for.

Buying or leasing a new one is smarter than getting an older one, and getting one without a warranty is flat out dumb. They’re amazing in their young years but devolve into steaming, fly-covered piles of you-know-what as the miles add up.

I had my MSport 540i for a little over three years. I do all my own work, have for 20+ years, the majority of which time was spent wrenching on BMW, Audi, VW, and the like. My car came with a huge stack of service records. What the car had had invested in maintenance would’ve paid for a lower-end 3-series new off the lot.

The MSport was a beautiful car for sure, comfortable and fast, amazing handling...and was always multi-broken. There were always at least three issues I was driving around, the car’s V8 consumed 22 ignition coils, it had the famous valley pan coolant drip, CCV failed three times, driveshaft center bearing failed, both engine mounts and both transmission mounts crumbled (leaving the drivetrain seated in the car by the failing diff mount and the grace of God), nav drive took a dump (taking out the screen with it since the screen driver is in the nav drive - used ones online were $700+, new ones were $LOLgetouttahere), power steering pump mounting bracket was built into the PS pump casing and would break off the upper front mount tab, necessitating a whole new pump, and on and on and on. It was almost comical how much of a POS the car was, and it was maintained ahead of schedule to boot. Just unbelievable.

You ready to deal with garbage like that for the privilege of impressing strangers? There are lots of nice cars out there, and there are times and places for them. This fresh from a BK with sub-600 scores is neither the place nor time for a BMW. Good scores, disposable cash, and two other reliable daily drivers that allow a BMW to be a pleasure car a couple times a week is a little closer to the right thing. Or you could repeatedly beat yourself over the head while burning your wallet - same experience.

7CB468C4-2C79-47A0-8C77-DAC0031EE3BA.jpeg

This made me laugh so hard because it's spot on.  If you don't have a reliable daily, stay away from luxury German cars.

Message 19 of 35
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AnonymousYou know now what BMW stand for.................

Borrows My Wallet!!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.