Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy discharged today- trying to get rebuilding started

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy discharged today- trying to get rebuilding started

So, ended up getting extremely lucky and got to do a chapter 7 instead of a chapter 13. Bankruptcy discharged today, trying to get rebuilding started right away. 

I'm trying to fix my whole life- going back to school starting April 1st to finally finish my degree. Qualifed for Pell grant, should only have to borrow about $2000 to finish. I'm so frustrated with myself, should have dealt with all of this years ago. Still haven't fully recovered from the last recession and now worried I won't be ready for the next one. 

My income is crappy, $26k a year. Spouse makes more. We did get lucky and bought our house very close to the low. We both have newer cars, we are slightly underwater on my car- but only a couple grand. We kept both cars and the house in the bankruptcy. 

In other words, rebuilding isn't a huge rush because my car is only 9 months old and we have no plans to move- but, you know how life is. Never know when you will need credit immediately. 

I burned all the typical starter cards, not for very much, but, still burned them. Burned Cap 1 for about $5k, Merrick for a measly $500, Barclay for about $1200. Carecredit for about $800. American Express for $500, FNBO for about $750. I wouldn't have filed, but, my husband needed to and since we were already paying an attorney I filed too. I was on several of his accounts, so, it would have been messy with just him filing. 

I checked prequalifications on Cap One and of course didn't have one. I had an Overstock store card with a $2200 dollar limit that I didn't owe anything on, but, it closed for nonuse a couple months before bankruptcy. I tried requesting a credit line increase because I could still access the account, but, that didn't work. 

I had a ton of Comenity cards with $0 balance. 

I checked out Credit Karma and they had recommended the Secured Discover (declined) and Lendup Arrow (approved, $750) CreditOne (approved $500, with $36 or $39 annual fee, can't remember exact, but, it was $30-something.) I do have a student loan that I owe right around $1000 on, hopefully that will start reporting again. I'm also hopeful my reaffirmed car loan will start to report again. 

Obviously, I don't want to do a bunch of pointless apps. Any thoughts for other prequalification sites? I thought you were supposed to have three credit cards for optimum scores, but, I don't want to pay hundreds in annual fees. 

I don't know my real FICO scores. The equifax score from DCU was 591 this month. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy discharged today- trying to get rebuilding started

It sounds like none of your cards survived the BK so I would wait until your new Credit One and Lendup report to the bureaus.  That will certainly be a score bump to have at least 1 active revolving account reporting.  I would then see what your scores do and wait.  I would keep trying the Discover prequal at least 1 time per month.  Yes 3 cards would help better with score optimization but I would rather have cards known to graduate to unsecured and knowing I can keep those cards open forever rather than applying for anything I can get.  I would still try the Capital One prequal monthly also even though you burned them.  I have read reports that they can be quite forgiving.  GL!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will keep checking both Discover and Capital One. 

It looks like I didn't end up with too many inquiries, I don't see an inquiry from Creditone, I did use their prequalify page, so maybe one is coming later. Otherwise I just have an inquiry from Lendup arrow and three inquiries from when I bought my car back in April. 

I had a 645 (DCU score) even during the bankruptcy, but, I guess now that everything is closed my score is much lower. 

I wish score monitoring was cheaper! If it was $9.99 a month I'd be all over it.. lol

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I will keep checking both Discover and Capital One. 

It looks like I didn't end up with too many inquiries, I don't see an inquiry from Creditone, I did use their prequalify page, so maybe one is coming later. Otherwise I just have an inquiry from Lendup arrow and three inquiries from when I bought my car back in April. 

I had a 645 (DCU score) even during the bankruptcy, but, I guess now that everything is closed my score is much lower. 

I wish score monitoring was cheaper! If it was $9.99 a month I'd be all over it.. lol

Just an FYI, Credit One pulls EX, LendUp Arrow pulls TU.

Also, I received a prequal from Capital One 6 days post DC. Chose the Platinum and was approved for $2000 SL. I burned them bad in my Ch7 BK.

Congratulations on the ones you just got approved for! Your scores will be improve in a month.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I was using the prequalify for Capital One, but, somehow they sent me a rejection letter via email today which I thought I wouldn't get with a prequal, so, guessing I did something wrong. Doesn't look like they ran my credit though, so that's a good thing. I was rejected for a delinquent Capital One account. Of course, that would be the one included in bankruptcy, it was never actually late, but, I know a lot of companies just tag any derogatory status as a late. 

Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It takes roughly a year for Cap1 and Disco to get the pre-qual to pop up. Keep trying. Good luck and congrats on the fresh start!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Funny thing is, I've never wronged Discover in any way, I've never had one of their products. Even years ago when my score was in the 700's I couldn't get a secured Discover card.. lol 

Discover hasn't liked me ever and I have no idea why. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.