Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

tag
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

@jbunton444 wrote:

@sc2761 wrote:

I personally don't know anyone, but I have messaged back and forth with one of the moderators here who has one.  I believe there also may be a thread associated with it as well.  I was told on this forum as well as another, that the barclays (which is the old juniper card) is BK friendly if your one year out.  I will update this thread after I apply in a few weeks, but don't know which barclays card to apply for yet.

Hello!  I lurk more in this forum than actually posting; however, I am one of the referred to above.  I was declined a Barclay card itunes visa; called backdoor (credit analyst) number... poored my heart and soul out for a chance... begged for a measley $100.00 line and got $250.00 in November, 2010 -- now I'm at $2,500.00; also, have had success in getting Travelocity Amex for $1,000.00 initially in August, 2011 -- now at $2,000.00.

I, at pleading stage, had a Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 on my record.  The analyst was VERY hesistant, but.. I'm very persistent and I figured he caved when I said, look I didn't get A's in my MBA courses being ignorant.

I also recently was approved an apple Barclay card on December 5. I was turned down in June because I had no revolving credit post BK (filed April 2011). Only a car note. So I open a secured and unsecure Capone card. And after 6 months of report I gave it a shot. Got the 7-10 day notice, called recon # and was approved for $2000.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 61 of 690
mk2012

Just applied for my husband and was denied! Agh I don't understand why. Our bk was 7 years ago and his scores are 650ish
Message 62 of 690
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

@mk2012 wrote:
Just applied for my husband and was denied! Agh I don't understand why. Our bk was 7 years ago and his scores are 650ish

Sorry to hear that. Did you recon? I was given the 7-10 notice online and immediately called them and was approved. And which product was it?

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 63 of 690
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@mk2012 wrote:

What product did you apply for? I would recon this instantly. 

That aside, why are his scores 650ish 7 years out? Is there something else depressing his scores?

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 64 of 690
melich

Hi all :0)

First time here. I lost my job and was forced to File for ch7. My Ch 7 was discharged in Jul 2012. After doing massive research i applied for CapOne CC in early Aug 2012. Approved for $500. Following month i received a letter stating if i pay my first 6 statements on time and not go over the limit. My CC limit would be raised to $750 on the 7th month. This is all nice and dandy but it is a bit frustrating since just a few years ago i had a few cards with limits in the $30k range. Reading tis forum for the last couple of weeks has helped alot. So thank you..

At the time of ch7 discharge my score was 614EQ, 594EX & 579TU. Thankfully i am very good at managing credit and i;ve been able to raise the scores to 662EQ, 646EX & 616Tu (not too thrilled about TU).

My goal is to get a limit of about $4,000-$5,000 with either Boa , Chase or Citi. I really prefer Citi AA Advantage. I used to have Citi AA Advantage and racked up a ton of miles with the card. Do any of these run Equifax only? FYI, Citi was included in the BK  :0)  dept of about 80k totaling of 3 card all being Citi AA Advantage.  I love Citi and would want them back. 

My average credit usage ranges between 2% to 20%. I used the equifax score calculator to determine what the score would look like based on usage. this is how i was able to raise my score so quickly.

Would appreciate any good advise.

thank you and happy new year!

Current Score: EQ8 746, TU8 745, EX8 729
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780
Ch 7 in 3-2012

BofA Premier 20k, BofA Cash Reward 17k, Barclay AA Red 14k, Amazon 6k, Barclay Apple 12k, Discover 18k, Apple Card 7k, Walmart 4k, CapitalOne 4k
Message 65 of 690
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@melich wrote:

Hi all :0)

First time here. I lost my job and was forced to File for ch7. My Ch 7 was discharged in Jul 2012. After doing massive research i applied for CapOne CC in early Aug 2012. Approved for $500. Following month i received a letter stating if i pay my first 6 statements on time and not go over the limit. My CC limit would be raised to $750 on the 7th month. This is all nice and dandy but it is a bit frustrating since just a few years ago i had a few cards with limits in the $30k range. Reading tis forum for the last couple of weeks has helped alot. So thank you..

At the time of ch7 discharge my score was 614EQ, 594EX & 579TU. Thankfully i am very good at managing credit and i;ve been able to raise the scores to 662EQ, 646EX & 616Tu (not too thrilled about TU).

My goal is to get a limit of about $4,000-$5,000 with either Boa , Chase or Citi. I really prefer Citi AA Advantage. I used to have Citi AA Advantage and racked up a ton of miles with the card. Do any of these run Equifax only? FYI, Citi was included in the BK  :0)  dept of about 80k totaling of 3 card all being Citi AA Advantage.  I love Citi and would want them back. 

My average credit usage ranges between 2% to 20%. I used the equifax score calculator to determine what the score would look like based on usage. this is how i was able to raise my score so quickly.

Would appreciate any good advise.

thank you and happy new year!

Congrats on your rebuild. You have come to the right place. A few questions, where are you getting your scores? Are they FICO scores? ore FAKOs? I see you mentioned EXP which is typically a FAKO for most people. It'll help guide suggestions if we know what your FICO scores actually are. 

Unfortunately, its not a good idea to apply for any credit products with BOA, Citi or Chase. They are not BK friendly. Certainly not this close to your discharge. Save the HP and look elsewhere. This thread has already covered the "friendlies". CapOne, CreditOne are great rebuilders. GE backed cards have been mentioned as well. Barclays seems to be easy to get as long as you have had 4-6 months of revolving history post BK. If you have military affiliations, NFCU is definitely a major player.

Soul master has an excellent rebuild thread that makes a good read. But like I said, BOA, Citi, Chase are no go's. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 66 of 690

So I thought I would add to the discussion.....

I am 2 years into a Chapter 13 and have just converted into a Chapter 7 and am waiting for the discharge letter. I received an Orchard Bank card ($300CL) within the first 6 months of confirmation of my C13 BK. 12 months into my C 13, I started using an AMEX Pre-Paid in the hopes that it would help me obtain an AMEX card in the future. 18 months in or so seemed to be a tipping point so to speak, as I was approved for a credit limit increase with Orchard Bank; and new accounts were approved with Credit One ($1000 CL), Matrix Card ($300 CL), and a Fingerhut Account ($300 CL). The conversion started in November and is on track. On a whim I decided a couple of days ago to apply for a Barclaycard Reward Mastercard and, too my surprise, was granted $1300 CL!! I was shocked and am completely stoked because now I can actually get some rewards points for using my card and paying the balance every month. I was hoping that meant I might actually get approved for an AMEX card, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Was denied an AMEX/Costco card 2 days later, but hey I'm working on it......lol. 

Trans FICO = 660 (01/6/2013) Equifax FICO = 654 (01/6/2013) Experian PLUS = 656 (1/6/2013)
Wallet = AMEX Prepaid with $300 every 2 weeks deposited, Cap One (Formerly Orchard Bank) $500 CL in SOCK-DRAWER, Credit One Bank Visa $1000 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, Discover Matrix $300 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, Fingerhut Charge Account $300 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, and Barclaycard MC with $1300 CL
Goal.....To break 750-775 by the end of 2013
DId not reach my 2012 Goal of 700... :-((
Message 67 of 690
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the cards. What was reasoning to convert to a Ch 7? You know that will stay on your reports for 10 years. What did your attorney say about all these new cards you are getting before the Ch 7 discharge? I am not sure if you have to include all creditors in a converted Ch 7 but I know you do if you start off with a Ch 7. If you do not know, find out to make sure you will not lose all of your newly obtained cards. I know the creditors aren't aware of this conversion. You are getting the cards now which is good while you are still under a Chapter 13 because once it converts to a 7, it will be nearly impossible to get a prime credit card for a long time as AMEX, Citi, and Chase are not BK friendly and especially so if you burned them in your BK. Just wondering if you knew after 5 more years of the 13, you would have had it completely removed from your credit report if you paid off the plan successfully. Now with the conversion to a 7, it will stay on your report for another additional 5 years. A 13 looks more favorable to creditors than a 7 because you are paying your debts. Just not sure why you are converting.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 68 of 690

Hey MovingForward....

The reason for the conversion is because we added a 2nd child to the family this past year and the means test now allowed for the Chapter 7. The math made sense.....(3 more years of $300/month payments or discharge in 45 days and DONE!) I only had one Cap One card inculded in the original BK. My attorney told me that what I have now does not matter; unless I wanted to wrap them up in the conversion. The only thing that gets included in the conversion is the accounts that were originally included in the 13 filing from 2 years ago. The other thing about a conversion is that the filing date DOES NOT change. So at the most I am actually adding only 3 years to the time the report stays on my CR. Again, I'd rather pocket the 11k and deal with the BK on my CR for another 3 years. I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job of rasing my credit scores....

As far as my prospects under a 7 as opposed to a 13, I have personally been told by numerous creditors and read time and time again on this forum that a 7 is much more preffered because it's "over and done with" so-to-speak. My wife and I are tyring to re-finance our house and put my name on the note, and EVERY lender (BofA, Suntrust, Wells Fargo) that I have talked to said they absolutly will not approve while I'm in a 13, but will approve FHA as soon as I am discharged into a 7! It also seems as though people on the forum are having a much easier time obtaining credit when they are in the 7 as opposed to the 13. From a lenders stand-point, now it is going to look as though I am 2 years OUT of Chater 7 BK as opposed to 2 years into a 5 year Chatper 13 BK. Make sense?? Take it for what it's worth....

P.S. On all 3 of my CR's (Pulled today), the BK is listed as being a Chapter 7, so Barclays obviously saw something that they liked today that wasn't there 4 months ago when I was declined. 

Trans FICO = 660 (01/6/2013) Equifax FICO = 654 (01/6/2013) Experian PLUS = 656 (1/6/2013)
Wallet = AMEX Prepaid with $300 every 2 weeks deposited, Cap One (Formerly Orchard Bank) $500 CL in SOCK-DRAWER, Credit One Bank Visa $1000 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, Discover Matrix $300 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, Fingerhut Charge Account $300 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, and Barclaycard MC with $1300 CL
Goal.....To break 750-775 by the end of 2013
DId not reach my 2012 Goal of 700... :-((
Message 69 of 690
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well our bankruptcy was discharged 6 months ago. I now have 2 cap1 ccds. I tried getting a barclays card yesterday and was denied. tried calling for a recon today and was told i had to wait for the denial letter. my 2nd cap1 card has a  $500 limit and the first thing I charged on it was 2 recliners $389 and paid it off 2 weeks later. my 1st cap1 card has a $300 limit and at one point had $297 worh of charges. It now has a $0 ballance. I pay a minium of $100 or the full ballance every month.

Message 70 of 690
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.