cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

tag

Re: Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

Hi need_a_home....

Keep your head up my friend! It appears that a "12 month revolving credit" history with no dings what-so-ever is the key with Barclay's. If memory serves, in a Chapter 7 you can actually re-open the case and add items too it up to 12 months from the date of discharge, so maybe that is where the 12 months comes into play. As I said in an earlier post, I literally was denied 4 months ago for the same card. Only difference is the solid 12 months of history behind me. Have you tried credit limit increases with the Cap One cards? Also,  as some have also suggested; you might want to try the Credit One, First Premier, Discover Matrix, and Fingerhut options as well. I mean the Annual Fee's and interest rates suck, but I have to think having the multiple trade-lines on your CR's can only help. I haven't used any of them but the Orchard Bank card (Out of a sense of loyalty due to them being the first to take a chance on me) since the day I got them as they went straight into a firesafe. Just food for thought......

Trans FICO = 660 (01/6/2013) Equifax FICO = 654 (01/6/2013) Experian PLUS = 656 (1/6/2013)
Wallet = AMEX Prepaid with $300 every 2 weeks deposited, Cap One (Formerly Orchard Bank) $500 CL in SOCK-DRAWER, Credit One Bank Visa $1000 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, Discover Matrix $300 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, Fingerhut Charge Account $300 CL in SOCK_DRAWER, and Barclaycard MC with $1300 CL
Goal.....To break 750-775 by the end of 2013
DId not reach my 2012 Goal of 700... :-((
Message 71 of 690
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well our bankruptcy was discharged 6 months ago. I now have 2 cap1 ccds. I tried getting a barclays card yesterday and was denied. tried calling for a recon today and was told i had to wait for the denial letter. my 2nd cap1 card has a  $500 limit and the first thing I charged on it was 2 recliners $389 and paid it off 2 weeks later. my 1st cap1 card has a $300 limit and at one point had $297 worh of charges. It now has a $0 ballance. I pay a minimum of $100 or the full ballance every month.

Don't get discourage. I to filed bk in April 2011. I applied for Barclay in June 2012 and was denied due to no revolving credit. I read several threads on BK and on average they want you to be at least a year post BK and a minimum of at least one revolving credit card report for a minimum of 6 months. So I got 2 Cap1 cards and after the six month bill cut I tried again and I was approved. Which Barclay product did you apply for? Also not all Barclay products are BK friendly. I went for the Apple card and I also see from threads the NFL card is BK friendly. Honestly, I am nervous about them now since I keep seeing people post they closed there accounts with no warning.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 72 of 690
homesteader
Established Member

I applied for the Barclays rewards mastercard. when I look for credits cards to apply for with my credit status the only ones that pop up are first premier, cap1, Barclays rewards and nfl cards. in my fico citi and discover are the only ones that show up and 2 out of the 3 are student cards. I know not to try for those 3 cards yet and im nerous about trying for the nfl card since i was denied once already by barclays

Starting Score: 493
Current Score: 602
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 73 of 690
homesteader
Established Member

by the way my scores are tu 590 eq 602

Starting Score: 493
Current Score: 602
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 74 of 690
jbunton444
Valued Member

@Unique620 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well our bankruptcy was discharged 6 months ago. I now have 2 cap1 ccds. I tried getting a barclays card yesterday and was denied. tried calling for a recon today and was told i had to wait for the denial letter. my 2nd cap1 card has a  $500 limit and the first thing I charged on it was 2 recliners $389 and paid it off 2 weeks later. my 1st cap1 card has a $300 limit and at one point had $297 worh of charges. It now has a $0 ballance. I pay a minimum of $100 or the full ballance every month.

Don't get discourage. I to filed bk in April 2011. I applied for Barclay in June 2012 and was denied due to no revolving credit. I read several threads on BK and on average they want you to be at least a year post BK and a minimum of at least one revolving credit card report for a minimum of 6 months. So I got 2 Cap1 cards and after the six month bill cut I tried again and I was approved. Which Barclay product did you apply for? Also not all Barclay products are BK friendly. I went for the Apple card and I also see from threads the NFL card is BK friendly. Honestly, I am nervous about them now since I keep seeing people post they closed there accounts with no warning.

Call the backdoor number...

Gardening since 6-28-2013
Barclay's iTunes: $3,500 | Travelocity Amex $3,350.00 | USAA $7,000.00 | Chase Freedom: $2,000.00 | Discover IT $1,000.00 | NFCU cashRewards Visa $22,500.00 | NavCheck $12,500.00 | USAA $7,000.00 | JCP $3,000.00 | Macy's $2,200.00 | Sam's Club $1,100.00 | Care Credit: $3,300.00 | Carson's $5,250.00 | Wal*Mart $1,500.00 | Various others... can't remember most store cards --- Long journey to HERE -- keep up the good fight!
Message 75 of 690
sc2761
Contributor

Wow this thread is still here..  I was approved for cards in the order that is in my signature.  I was initally denied for a Barclays MC in middle of 2011 (Barclays Priceline).  I was at the time told I don't have enough revolving lines and not enough history as 12 months were needed.  Then when I reapplied in 4/2012 I was approved because at that point I had 2 credit cards (Cap One and HSBC) and I had over 12 months of on time history with Cap One.  So it is possible to get the Barclays Rewards MC.  I still only have the 3 cards and don't know if I want another one or if I should try for another one at this point.  If I decide to, anyone have any suggestions which route I should take now.  Also I haven't checked my credit scores since mid 2012, except creditkarma which says my TU score is 697.  Thanks all for any advice.  This forum has greatly helped me!!

Opened 12/2010 Quicksilver MC now $10000; Opened 04/2012: Barclays Rewards MC now $15000; Opened 12/2013: Logix Platinum Rewards MC now $15000; Opened 12/2013: DCU Platinum Visa now $3000; Opened 03/2015: Cap One Venture Rewards Visa now $16000; Opened 03/2015: Chase Freedom Visa now $2000; Opened 03/2015: Safe CU Platinum Rewards Visa now $1500.
Message 76 of 690
Scupra
Super Contributor

Just wanted to see if there were any newer stories about a Discover approval after BK. I want to make the Discover IT a goal card and was wondering if you were approved and if so how far post BK, what BK, and score if you know? Thanks everyone!
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 77 of 690
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Scupra wrote:
Just wanted to see if there were any newer stories about a Discover approval after BK. I want to make the Discover IT a goal card and was wondering if you were approved and if so how far post BK, what BK, and score if you know? Thanks everyone!

+1

This is my next goal card. I'd like to do a mini app spree in the fall and apply for Discover IT, Amex BCE and either DCU or Chase Freedom. Any tips on Discover or Amex BCE being bk friendly plus be great!

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 78 of 690
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Justrebuilding wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

+1

This is my next goal card. I'd like to do a mini app spree in the fall and apply for Discover IT, Amex BCE and either DCU or Chase Freedom. Any tips on Discover or Amex BCE being bk friendly plus be great!

Just got Discover IT 2 weeks.  It's a pretty cool card.  I also have the DCU Platinum Visa.  As for Amex, forget them until your bk is 8 years or older and preferrably off your reports.  I app'd for them in Dec and my denial was solely because of my bk.  So I will wait another year and app for them again and I should be a shoe in.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 79 of 690
stormb28
New Contributor

Rhaeny,

How far out were you from BK when you got the discover it?
Message 80 of 690
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.