Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy or Settlements

tag
twono
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy or Settlements

@Anonymous wrote:

Let me start by saying never meet with 6 BK attorneys in one day. I did that today and it was quite interesting. I did find one who was very knowledgeable and gave me more information than I know what to do with. I’m nervous but excited at the same time. It could be that the stress has me losing my mind lol I’m not really sure. He’s fee for everything is $2K. That seemed like the avg cost down here in Texas but it covers everything. So I’ll be moving forward in the coming weeks just need to get the money together.

lol.  When i said i had 6 consultations, i wasn't inferring that they were in the same day?!

I paid nearly $4000 for my CH 7, assets(titled vehicles only) were involved though, but not sure that constituted the high fee.  He/the firm, is 'THE' BK attorneys in my professional sports team sized city in Ohio.

My attorney is also a trustee for almost 20 yrs, past Bar Association President,  former school board member, member of the Judicial Liaison Committee, Bankruptcy Local Rules Committee, Volunteer Lawyers, and Executive Committee Member of the Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar and has about a dozen accredited awards, ratings, etc.   Also travels the country lecturing all things bankruptcy.  See if you can't research that and find out if any of the attorneys you talked to are trustees.  I had to find out on my own. They don't advertise as such but is usually in their online professional info/profile.  Gotta think that a moonlighting trustee as your attorney, can't be a bad thing.  I think that it also provides a little more confidence in that the attorney/trustee will do things properly for both sides as to not jeopardize their 'trustee' standing.

After years of juggling my debt, leaving work early to get to bank to get cash advance to pay the last cash advance, then up early saturday morning to the bank again to deposit a BT check, etc....I had 45+ accts to juggle/pay, in trying to keep that high 700 score.  Let's not forget the $140,000 i burned through to reign in the debt.  So even when i only decided to file about this time last year, the amount of stress relief was huge.  I let balances report, utilization went thru the roof, i stopped monitoring my scores, learned to live on debit only (for 10 months until i DC'd)..  

I"m rambling now....Just remember this, 95% + of us here, have been or are, exactly where you are now, and of those 95%, there are 95% + positive, post BK success stories.

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@twono I meant I went to meet with 6 lawyers in one day lol

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol I meant I met with 6 lawyers in one day. I have spread the rest of my consultations out through the week. 

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I’m leasing things like TV and other misc electronics. Do I need to list those with my lawyer?

Message 24 of 28
donkort
Valued Contributor

Are you leasing them through Rent-a-Wreck?  They don't do credit checks. 

I guess you should consult your lawyer, just in case.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

No it’s through Progressive leasing

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes it's hard to realize how much money you're throwing away every month (in debt maintenance) until you get honest and run the numbers. When I took my first required (for Chap 7) credit counseling course this past weekend I realized I was paying about 80% of my paycheck to creditors. It's supposed to be 5% for unsecured debt, they said. @50k year salary and $95k in the hole I would be a slave forever. I'm excited about soon having extra money again after I pay my rent/vehicle payment. I've come to realize the secret is saving not more borrowing. I guess I had to hit rock bottom first.....

Message 27 of 28
Phoenixupward
Regular Contributor

Congrats on making an astute business decision.  Once you get the financial albatross off your back, you will feel a sense of relief.  I didn't realize the level of maturity it takes to make the decision for filing for bankruptcy.  I had placed so much shame on myself as if I had committed a crime.  My 341 meeting opened my eyes as I watched many people from different ages, walks of life, etc who were in the same boat as I.  After meeting with the trustee who was an exceptionally nice man, the shame I had harbored was gone.  It will be 2 yrs this coming July 26th and I'm in such a great economic position, my credit scores are 691 - 693, and I'm focused on wealth management.  The debt was affecting my perception of who I am and I was becoming increasingly negative, worrisome, angry and physically ill.   Now, I'm positive, physically fit and continue to improve myself on the economic front.

Good luck.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.