cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been 10 months since discharge; 2 collections? Help!

tag
kaybean22
Valued Member

Been 10 months since discharge; 2 collections? Help!

My ch 7 bk was discharged with no problems in March. I haven't had any problems, have a discover and cap 1 card. Started getting collection calls about 2 weeks ago so looked my reports and there are 2 collections from debts occurred before I filed. One even has a note that has Ch 7 bankruptcy in the collection!

What's the easiest way to dispute both of these with all 3 bureaus without paying anything (or as little as possible, I want this to be easy, I'll pay for easy.) Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Been 10 months since discharge; 2 collections? Help!

Just go to each CRA individually and submit online disputes. See how that turns out first
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@kaybean22 wrote:

My ch 7 bk was discharged with no problems in March. I haven't had any problems, have a discover and cap 1 card. Started getting collection calls about 2 weeks ago so looked my reports and there are 2 collections from debts occurred before I filed. One even has a note that has Ch 7 bankruptcy in the collection!

What's the easiest way to dispute both of these with all 3 bureaus without paying anything (or as little as possible, I want this to be easy, I'll pay for easy.) Thanks!

Scupra is a lot nicer than I am.  I would be furious that the CA's have the audacity to put collections on the report after the debt has been discharged in your Ch 7. 

Don't pay those collectors at all or you are rewarding bad behavior. They have to remove them as it is a violation of the discharge injunction. 

I had a collections co call me after my discharge and they pulled the same thing. I talked with the collector (who was clueless) and told him they were violating the discharge injunction.  The call did get heated.  A supervisor called me back the same day and when I gave them the case #, the discharge date etc. the collection was removed within 24 hours. They even sent me a copy of the e-oscar form showing the request to delete to the 3 CRAs.  I double checked and it was gone. 

If you don't feel like talking with the collectors, then send them a letter with the relevant info. They must remove those collections from your report because they were entered after your discharge for debt that was discharged.

If they don't remove it - sue them. 

Make sure to report them to the CFPB too.  

They know it's wrong.  They are trying to force you into a payment.  Don't pay them. 

Message 3 of 4
kaybean22
Valued Member

Uggh duh why did it not cross my mind to tell them to go f* themselves or I'll see them in court? I had a few collections report immediately after the discharge for medical services RENDERED before I filed but not BILLED until after. Sorry kids, it doesn't work that way!

I have no problems getting in "someone's face" about this on the phone. I'll just have my report in front of me next time they call and ask if they'd like to delete it now or have my attorney sue them, especially since it's been almost exactly a year now and I'm sure a judge won't like that. 

Thank you!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.