Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blacklisting

I had a couple of questions regarding companies that have history of instant denial after they are burned in BK. Do these places keep independant records that outlive the credit reports? That is, will Amex (I burned them for 1K on a Costco card) deny me forever, or just until the BK is off my CR? I burned a Citi Sears card that for some reason isn't on any of my CR's. Will Citi still hold a grudge?

edit: changed title to correct term.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Blackballing

It's more commonly called "black listing", and yes, most of the major CC companies maintain their own internal records. One way you can tell if you're on a lenders black list is when they deny your credit app without even pulling your credit report. Capital One has the "shortest" black list, many are able to get a CC a month or two after discharge even when they included  Cap One CC in BK.

Amex and many credit unions have the longest black list memory, and won't let you back in until you repay the amount you included in BK. $1k on a Costco Amex isn't bad, you might consider contacting them to repay it if you really want bck in with Amex. But another way to get back in with Amex is to get added on as an Authorized User on someone else's card. Since American Express requires a social security number for authorized users they'll know it's you, and I've read of folks getting off thier blacklist within a few months after being added as an AU. My BK7 was discharged in Jan, 2011 and did not have any accounts with Amex, but in checking their prequalification page I was always told "we don't find any offers for you" until recently, probably as I passed the 6 yr. post DC date. I'm waitng until this fall to app as my 7 derogatory accounts included in Bk fall off over the next few months and my app will be stronger after thay fall off.

Chase and Citi also have very long memories, Citi issued cards and Citi co-branded cards (like Sears, Home Depot, Best Buy) are two separate divisions, so it's possible your not black listed at Citi issued cards like Double Cash, but the BK on your credit report may result in automatic decline.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info, thanks!

Message 3 of 11
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great info, thanks!

Hi Sass!  There have been plenty of people who were able to get prime cards (ie. Amex, Chase, Citi) with  a bankruptcy.   I would suggest the thread about bankruptcy friendly credit cards.  There's a wealth of information in there!

And I was able to get back in with Amex after a large charge off.   Keep reading this forum!  It will change your life!!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

It's more commonly called "black listing", and yes, most of the major CC companies maintain their own internal records. One way you can tell if you're on a lenders black list is when they deny your credit app without even pulling your credit report. Capital One has the "shortest" black list, many are able to get a CC a month or two after discharge even when they included  Cap One CC in BK.

Amex and many credit unions have the longest black list memory, and won't let you back in until you repay the amount you included in BK. $1k on a Costco Amex isn't bad, you might consider contacting them to repay it if you really want bck in with Amex. But another way to get back in with Amex is to get added on as an Authorized User on someone else's card. Since American Express requires a social security number for authorized users they'll know it's you, and I've read of folks getting off thier blacklist within a few months after being added as an AU. My BK7 was discharged in Jan, 2011 and did not have any accounts with Amex, but in checking their prequalification page I was always told "we don't find any offers for you" until recently, probably as I passed the 6 yr. post DC date. I'm waitng until this fall to app as my 7 derogatory accounts included in Bk fall off over the next few months and my app will be stronger after thay fall off.

Chase and Citi also have very long memories, Citi issued cards and Citi co-branded cards (like Sears, Home Depot, Best Buy) are two separate divisions, so it's possible your not black listed at Citi issued cards like Double Cash, but the BK on your credit report may result in automatic decline.

See . . . I've always known Amex to not even allow you to be an AU if you've burned them within X amount of years in the past. They wouldn't put me on my Mom's. I have employees that can't get on the company I work for's corporate program either due to personal accounts they've had with Amex in the past.

I'm STILL on CapOne and Barclay's blacklists and am almost 2 years post d/c with everything reporting correctly and scores quickly approaching 700. I haven't gotten around to calling them yet, but need to do so. 

Message 5 of 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
See . . . I've always known Amex to not even allow you to be an AU if you've burned them within X amount of years in the past. They wouldn't put me on my Mom's. I have employees that can't get on the company I work for's corporate program either due to personal accounts they've had with Amex in the past.

I'm STILL on CapOne and Barclay's blacklists and am almost 2 years post d/c with everything reporting correctly and scores quickly approaching 700. I haven't gotten around to calling them yet, but need to do so. 

Well, I couldn't remember the name of the Amex program that let you repay BK discharged debt to get back into their good graces, so I Googled "amex repay bk program", and top hit was this article that I thought was pretty good: How to get off the American Express black list

I personally know someone who was on the black list for 15 years. It was only after employing the following method that this person was able to get an American Express card again. Since American Express requires a social security number for authorized users, it may be possible to get yourself dropped from the list by being added to someone else’s card. I know a few people who were removed from the blacklist within a few months of being added as authorized users on other people’s cards.

The theory is that once you are accepted as an AU, you once again become an active cardholder in their system and your social security number is no longer blocked. Again, I know of several people who this has worked for and I highly suggest at least trying this.

There are a select group of people on a super-blacklist that aren’t even allowed to become authorized users. These people normally have enormous unpaid debts or other severe problems with American Express. Fortunately this doesn’t represent most people on the blacklist, but if this is you, then your only option is to wait it out.

- Read the comments at the end of the article, they're pretty interesting. On guy says Amex claims he defaulted on $2k almost 30 years ago, he says he didn't. His wife tried to add him as an AU and they actually sent her a letter saying that he had defaulted on accounts so they would not add him as an AU. I would be roaylly PO'd at them making that assertion to a 3rd party! Another guy says he defaulted on $35k and actually setup a payment plan & repaid it in full but was still black listed. After being added as an AU for a year they finally approved him for a card.

I'm not sure I'll app for Amex even though their pre-qual page says I'm approved, I've never liked them. I got a pre-approval for a Gold card back in the 80s when I was a grad student in college. Didn't use it much while at college but then spring break I took a trip. I had it up to around $500 & tried to make a purchase at a dept. store for around $50. Back then they used the phone to call for approval, and the clerk handed me the phone saying "they want to talk to you". Amex rep demanded to know why I was "charging so much", and what was I buying. I told her "none of your business, either approve the purchase or not". She started to say she would approve the purchase but mark the account not to approve any more purchases until I apid the balance in full. I told her not to bother, I'd put the purchase on my Visa card w/$5k CL and I knew where I stood. When I got home I closed the account. Same thing happened in the 90s when I was an AU on a corp.. Amex card. Tried to buy a computer while on a biz trip for a biz client, Amex demanded to know why I was charging so much & what was I buying. Same answer "None of your business", I put it on my own CC & got reimbursed. Now with their pre-set CL cards maybe that's so much of a problem, but I've read about them suddenly demanding you sign a form that authorizes the IRS to release your tax returns to them. I provide tax returns for a mortgage; a month of pay stubs gets me a car loan, I would never provide tax returns for a effing credit card.

I have read that Barclays is pretty touchy about being included in BK. I never had Barclays until after BK and they've been a great rebuilder for me. I got the Rewards MC as my 3rd post BK CC, just a little over 1 year after discharge. Now at 6 years post DC I have $16.2k CL with them between the Rewards & Cash Forward CCs. So, keep trying, at least if you're still black listed they won't hard pull you CR.

@Anonymous that seems really strange you're still black listed with Cap One almost 2 years post DC. The were one of my largest creditors, a couple cards with over $18k, so I avoided them thinking I would be black listed. But once I joined MyFico & read how forgiving they were I app'd in Oct. 2014, less than 3 years post DC - instant approval for Quicksilver w/$10k CL. Now I have a 2nd QS @ $10k CL and a Spark biz card w/$8k, they mailed me a pre-approval for Spark. So. keep trying.

Message 6 of 11
wa3more
Established Contributor

Amex is tough. I knew someone blacklisted 28 years, yes 28. But others , not so long. It is a YMMV.

They had an Oasis program, not sure if it is still around.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Blacklisting

Yup, I'm definitely on Amex's Blacklist. I apped just to see, no sign of any HP, and I went in to check the status of my App--there's no record of it. Someday, I might want an Amex card (those platinum ones are pretty prestigious), but I'm a LONG way from that. By then, I'll either be off the blacklist or will have enough money that I can just pay off my discharged amount. I'm kicking myself, though, for not paying them off before the BK. I had the money, but payed off a different debt instead. If only I'd read these forums first!

Message 8 of 11
wa3more
Established Contributor

yes they will let you back in if you pay off past debt even if it it is 50 years old.

Me ? I have no chance..ever. After Amex and I settled, they violated FCRA which entitled me to 5k+ in damages. The Amex lawyer said Amex will pay 1k  and I said 5 or I sue.  They said no. I sent a copy of a complaint I was filing in federal court for 5k+. They got that and we settled. So they hate people who owe them money but really hate people who know their rights and have the nerve to sue them.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. They probably have a special list for that! ;-)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.