cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burned Amex in 2016, approved for creditOne Amex, is it real?

tag
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Burned Amex in 2016, approved for creditOne Amex, is it real?

I burned American Express for over $10,000 back in 2016, one delta Amex and one Hilton Amex.

Just applied and was approved for the CreditOne American Express. My question is: is this a real American Express? Am I actually an Amex customer/member again?

Also, my recovery is going really well, scores are climbing and I am getting approved for everything and getting line increases as well.

Thanks for any of your answers. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Re: Burned Amex in 2016, approved for creditOne Amex, is it real?

I would also like to add that this card has an annual fee and I think they only gave me a $1000 limit.

If the card is not worth it, and isn't a real Amex, I can just not activate it and cancel it.

It just shipped today, they tell me. 

Message 2 of 17
rostrow416
Established Contributor

It runs on the Amex network but is issued by Credit One bank not American Express.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 3 of 17
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

I burned American Express for over $10,000 back in 2016, one delta Amex and one Hilton Amex.

Just applied and was approved for the CreditOne American Express. My question is: is this a real American Express? Am I actually an Amex customer/member again?

Also, my recovery is going really well, scores are climbing and I am getting approved for everything and getting line increases as well.

Thanks for any of your answers. 

You are not an Amex customer.  You are a Credit One customer (a predatory lender). It's a Credit One account run through the Amex payment network.

Post-BK, it's easy to get approved by rebuild/predatory lenders. It's hard to get approved with the big lenders until the BK falls off. It's nearly impossible to get approved by anyone your burned in the BK.  In Amex's case, you are probably banned for life like a lot of us unless you repay the entire $10k+ you burned. It's ok... it's not hard to live without Amex for the rest of your life.

Message 4 of 17
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

I also burned CitiBank for over $15,000 but now I have the following products from Citi:

Goodyear Citi card (only capable of auto/gas purchases: $1200 limit

BestBuy Citi Visa (a full blown Visa, not just bestBuy): $2000 limit

Shell Citi Mastercard (a full blown MC, not just Shell): $2000 limit

If the CreditOne Amex isn't a real Amex I won't accept the terms and won't activate it. It's not worth the fee, and yes I know CreditOne is famous for being a "predatory" lender/card issuer. 

Message 5 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

I also burned CitiBank for over $15,000 but now I have the following products from Citi:

Goodyear Citi card (only capable of auto/gas purchases: $1200 limit

BestBuy Citi Visa (a full blown Visa, not just bestBuy): $2000 limit

Shell Citi Mastercard (a full blown MC, not just Shell): $2000 limit

If the CreditOne Amex isn't a real Amex I won't accept the terms and won't activate it. It's not worth the fee, and yes I know CreditOne is famous for being a "predatory" lender/card issuer. 

Again Citi as AMEX just services the card. Its not a real Citi card. I have a Chase auto loan but cant get a card due to BK. Makes no sense but dont care. Home Depot is serviced by Citi and they wont give me a card also due to BK. Keep it open right before the next annual fee. Build some history with it. Your not going to get high limits until baddies fall off and scores go up. Pass the 700 club and things get a bit easier.

Message 6 of 17
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Equifax has me in the 744 club

Transunion and Experian have me around 650.

oh well! 

Message 7 of 17
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Hockeypnc1,

The CreditOne Amex is simply nothing more than a subprime lender credit that uses the Amex system.  The closest thing I've seen to a real Amex card is the Macy American Express. It has reward offers just like Amex and offers some of the travel benefits of Amex. In the end it's just a Citi Retail card on the Amex platform, with new nice free benefits.  

Hope that helps. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 8 of 17
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

So, what I am hearing from all of you is that I am still on the "ban list" from Amex and this is NOT a real Amex card?

Meaning I am NOT a proud member of American Express and all its awesome benefits?

Message 9 of 17
Kasuito39
Frequent Contributor

@Hockeypnc1 yes that's correct. Amex is a no go zone for all of us that burned them for a while. Here is an example, I was recently added as Authorized User by a family member and they approved and I received my card. However, after using the card twice on two separate occassions, the primary user was notified by Amex that my card will be closed due to "past derogatory history". I burned Amex in 2017. 

For Citi, it depends because I've been an authorized user for the double citi card for over 15 months with no issues and I burned citi in 2017 as well. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.