Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a house after BK

tag
1prettyorchid
Contributor

Buying a house after BK

Hello 👋 all.

I just completed my questionnaire last week. Im removing about 50k of credit card debt. I would love to buy a house 2 years after being discharged. Did anyone have any issues with this process? Any suggestions on what to do starting now?

Also I would like to refi my car. Since I have so much debt the interest rate is 13.58%. I would like to refi my car immediately after my DC. Would this be possible?

4/29/21 After BK
EX 578 EQ 573 TU 477

8/15/21 EX 640 EQ 637 TU 614

Capital One QS1 $4000

Navy Federal secured $300

Discover $1800
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

Re: Buying a house after BK

Yes, buying a house 2 years after BK discharge (not eligible to get an FHA Case # until the 2 years post discharge date)

Ideally (for FICO scoring) you'll have 1 installment loan and 3 revolving accounts...If your current auto loan is upside down, then I might suggest letting it go in the BK. In addition, if you keep the vehicle but don't reaffirm, then it will cease reporting. The upside to keeping and not reaffirming is you can let it go back for any reason and it won't negatively impact your credit beyond the reporting of "included in BK" remarks, etc.

Regarding cards, I'd recommend Cap1 (as long as their charge off or BK filing, whichever came first was 12 or more months ago) as they are a great rebuilder card. I'd only recommend going to unsecured cards and not worry about the APR since it's HIGHLY HIGHLY recommened to NEVER carry a balance. If you can't get pre approved for any unsecured cards, then I'd recommend the secured card route. This can be done via Cap1, or better yet a credit union. Most local smaller CU's have these great products as well as national CU's like Navy Federal, etc.

If you decide to keep the car, but NOT reaffirm, and still wish to optimize your scores, you can get what's referred to as a SSL (share secured loan) from a local credit union or national CU like Navy Federal. Ideally, you'll get a 2-3 year loan so that it will still be reporting when you app for your mortgage.

Hope this helps! 

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 2 of 6
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@DebtStinks wrote:

Regarding cards, I'd recommend Cap1 (as long as their charge off or BK filing, whichever came first was 12 or more months ago) as they are a great rebuilder card. I'd only recommend going to unsecured cards and not worry about the APR since it's HIGHLY HIGHLY recommened to NEVER carry a balance. If you can't get pre approved for any unsecured cards, then I'd recommend the secured card route. This can be done via Cap1, or better yet a credit union. Most local smaller CU's have these great products as well as national CU's like Navy Federal, etc.

I'm inclined to split the hair even further.  If you cannot get a fee free unsecured card with a high enough limit to make the card useable, then I highly recommend you opt for a high limit secured card.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 6
1prettyorchid
Contributor

I am going to keep the car. I just bought it in Dec 2020 and I double my payments every month. I wasn't aware it wouldn't report though. 

4/29/21 After BK
EX 578 EQ 573 TU 477

8/15/21 EX 640 EQ 637 TU 614

Capital One QS1 $4000

Navy Federal secured $300

Discover $1800
Message 4 of 6
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

@1prettyorchid It will likely still show on your credit report, but you'll likely lose any positive history associated with the payments you've made. 

The creditor will likely:

1) Report your account as "Included in Bankruptcy" or something along those lines.

2) Remove any previously reported payment history.

3) Cease any further reporting of the account.

Unless you reaffirm, in which case it would (after discharge of your BK itself) only be modified by stating "Debt reaffirmed in BK" or something along those lines in the remarks section and all history since account inception will be reported...sometimes excluding the automatic stay period until discharge of other debts. You can elect to continue making payments, but likely would not be required again until your BK is discharged and the reaffirmation agreement is in place.

I hope this helps.

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 5 of 6
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

@1prettyorchid wrote:

I am going to keep the car. I just bought it in Dec 2020 and I double my payments every month. I wasn't aware it wouldn't report though. 

Normally I would say surrender due to being upside down. There is also a preference issue which may end up having the double payment clawed back by the trustee for redistribution to the unsecured creditors. 

If OP rides through, would it count against DTI on a mortgage even though there is no legal obligation to pay the lender? Then I could see it worth it to ride through. Reaffirm I would never do on an upside down deal.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.