Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Denials after CH.7 discharge 6/15/18

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC Denials after CH.7 discharge 6/15/18

Hello.

How soon after discharge is one able to prequalify for credit to start rebuilding? I qualified for an Open Sky while still pending discharge, but the card is awful about applying payments timely. I don’t even want to use the card.

I am still being denied for all prequalify offers, even capital one secured because they were IIB for meSmiley Sad Credit One and Chase were also IIB).

Discover IT secured denied me. Fingerhut was IIB. I feel like I will not be able to build credit if no one allows me back in the door. Is it too soon to expect that they will?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC Denials after CH.7 discharge 6/15/18

Have you applied with first premier? If not I would recommend their secured card because their unsecured card is fee heavy

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not. I will do some research on First Premier.

I still have Hard I queried from late 2016 that need to come off, so I will only apply to CC’s that do soft pulls/Pre qualify offers right now. I don’t think my Score can take any more Hard Inquiries.

My goal would be to get Capital One Secured that graduates, but they declined me for a secured due to :

• Based on your application information,there are too many delinquent past or present Capital One credit obligation(s)

I think I’m blacklisted with them and possibly have to wait for a year?

Discover IT would not approve me for a secured, and I have never had credit with them.

Message 3 of 13
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello.

How soon after discharge is one able to prequalify for credit to start rebuilding? I qualified for an Open Sky while still pending discharge, but the card is awful about applying payments timely. I don’t even want to use the card.

I am still being denied for all prequalify offers, even capital one secured because they were IIB for meSmiley Sad Credit One and Chase were also IIB).

Discover IT secured denied me. Fingerhut was IIB. I feel like I will not be able to build credit if no one allows me back in the door. Is it too soon to expect that they will?

Thanks!

I can't remember if I had a pre-qualify, but I cold-apped and got a Cap 1 Quicksilver with a $10,000 SL just days after my discharge and a car loan about a week after.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I would assume I was denied because I have Capital One cards that were included in my bankruptcy discharge. My scores are still very low on Credit Karma . 544 and 526. I was discharged 6/15/18, and everything shows that it was discharged in Bankruptcy. I have student loans that weren’t discharged but aren’t showing back up yet on credit report. I have quite a few old inquiries from 2016 still waiting to fall off, but other than that, I wouldn’t know why my scores are still so low and why everyone else would be approved “right after discharge”. I’m employed full time, salary 40K, and really have no other extenuating circumstances.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure you can get any secured cc other than open sky without a hp. inquiries over a year old don’t lower your Fico score. You may have luck with comenity cards without a hp
Message 6 of 13
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

I was able to get back in with Capital One around eight months after discharge and it was for an unsecured card. You’ll have to be patient with them. 

If you are apart of a credit union, they would have a better secured product. With Navy Fed the payments post the next day and are available for use. If you aren’t eligible for them, try State Dept. They will both result in a hard inquiry though. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will wait to app for any cards at this stage.

I have the Open Sky secured because they were the only one who approved me for a secured.

I also had my husband add me as an AU on his BOA card and Discover, so hopefully with these three reporting, Capital One will allow me back in after 8 months to a yearSmiley Happy

I will hold steady. Thank you to all who replied!
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and I see Navy Federal has a great success rate for many, but I need to get more info on that particular route.

My brother was active military for 9+ years (no longer). Would that qualify me? Would I need his social and DD214 info to qualify?

My grandfather who has since passed was also Army and served in many wars.
Message 9 of 13
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

You should be able to get in with your brother or grandfather. I’m not sure what you would need if they dont have NFCU accounts. If you search the boards you may find the answer. You could also call them and ask. Maybe the website has that info as well. If you do decide to go that route, the hard pull will be worth it.

I am a NFCU success story. Opened a secured card in January. Paid in full as well as made payments weekly. Unsecured at five months. I started the secured card at 500. I upped it to 900 and then they upped it to 2000 when they unsecured it.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.