Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHARGE OFF being reported NEWLY every month

tag
jpd36282
Established Member

CHARGE OFF being reported NEWLY every month

My Discover balance was included in my SOs Chapter 7 which was discharged 3 years ago.

Every month they keep reporting it as "CHARGED OFF" (CO) but it shows up not just in the month they first charged it off but every month since then as if it's a NEW charge off in the status codes. I know they have right to keep showing the balance due which is also reported newly each month, but is it legal for them to keep putting "CO" each month instead of "N/A" or "No data available" like all my other charged off cards show?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: CHARGE OFF being reported NEWLY every month

@jpd36282 wrote:

My Discover balance was included in my SOs Chapter 7 which was discharged 3 years ago.

Every month they keep reporting it as "CHARGED OFF" (CO) but it shows up not just in the month they first charged it off but every month since then as if it's a NEW charge off in the status codes. I know they have right to keep showing the balance due which is also reported newly each month, but is it legal for them to keep putting "CO" each month instead of "N/A" or "No data available" like all my other charged off cards show?

Is it updating monthly on your spouse's reports or on yours as an AU?   If it is updating on your spouse's reports,  and it was discharged in a CH 7, that does not sound right.  Creditors are prohibited under federal laws from trying to collect on discharged debt.   I would dispute it directly with Discover and if they don't stop, contact a BK attorney.   Perhaps a strong letter from one of them will stop this.   I have never heard of this happening -- of any updated reporting continuing beyond the month of discharge.

Message 2 of 4
jpd36282
Established Member

It's my account so theoretically I think they can denote it as such since it was only a "phantom discharge" for me, but I'm confused if reporting a balance is allowed since it's bee discharged, isn't due as long as we are married. I'm assuming they keep it on there in case we divorce so they could try and go after it. It's just strange that my significant others account is showing 0 balance and reports totally fine.

Message 3 of 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@jpd36282 wrote:

It's my account so theoretically I think they can denote it as such since it was only a "phantom discharge" for me, but I'm confused if reporting a balance is allowed since it's bee discharged, isn't due as long as we are married. I'm assuming they keep it on there in case we divorce so they could try and go after it. It's just strange that my significant others account is showing 0 balance and reports totally fine.

If it was your account that makes you legally liable for it even if a joint owner had the debt discharged. 

Yes, as long as it is unpaid, owned by the lender and less than 7.5 years after DOFD they can report a CO every month because... well because the status of the account is a CO.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.