Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COMENITY adding BK info to closed accounts prior to BK

tag
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

COMENITY adding BK info to closed accounts prior to BK

Hi,

So I was reviewing my credit report and noticed an old account closed back in 5/2013 per my request. I filed for BK in 6/2015 and didn't include this account in my BK as it was already closed and paid to a zero balance. So I disputed the status and got notice today that the status was not changed from included in BK. So I called comenity and they advised me that they have a new policy that even for closed accounts not included in BKs they will add status of included in BK even if the account was closed prior to your filing and not included.  I would love to hear if this is legal?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: COMENITY adding BK info to closed accounts prior to BK

Probably not "accurate reporting" since the account was NOT included in your bankruptcy, but its Comenity and they seem to live by their own rules. There are legal avenues you can take, but that's probably not worth paying an attorney. I'd file a CFPB complaint and hope for the best.  

Message 2 of 5
Someoneudontknow
Valued Member

Hi TryN2Rebuild,

That is interesting, I wonder when they instituted this policy because I had multiple accounts with Comenity and two of which were paid off prior to filing BK.  Subsequently, a few month later Comenity reported those paid off accounts as included, and I like your self called Comenity to dispute it and spoke with their bankruptcy department and they sent all 3 CB's the correct information so that its reported correctly.  Did you speak with customer service or the bankruptcy department?

Message 3 of 5
gorgon
Established Contributor

Add me to the list of false Comenity reporting. They marked a zero balance Orbitz Rewards Visa card I closed back in 2014 as IIB.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure if it’s legal but they did it to me too! This account was off my report but a couple days after my discharge it popped back ON my report and says included in BK. I haven’t started cleaning up my accounts yet. But that was off my report before I even filed so I was pretty livid!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.