Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get approved

tag
ProudMomof5
Contributor

Can't get approved

This is crazy.  I have been working on rebuilding my credit since I filed a Chapter 13 over a year ago.  I was approved for one credit card last year and I have paid it on time every month.  I'm getting a little frustrated though because when I spoke to a broker I was informed that I need more credit.  How can I get new credit when I can't even get approved and if I have too many inquiries hit my credit report it will drop my score.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
indecison
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't get approved

Have you tried getting secured cards?

Message 2 of 29
Poorboi
Contributor

Is your case discharged?

Message 3 of 29
Poorboi
Contributor

How long is your credit history

Message 4 of 29
ProudMomof5
Contributor

I didn't try any secured credit cards.  My question with those is, will they really help me rebuild my credit.  My credit score has jumped over 100 points since I filed Chapter 13 last August.  I'm only about 30 points away from 620.  I really want to purchase a house within the next six months and I need to re-establish credit but I only have one credit card.  I'm still paying my car note through my Chapter 13 but they aren't reporting it on my credit report anymore. 

Do you think I can still use them as a tradeline even though they're not reporting on my credit report?

Message 5 of 29
Poorboi
Contributor

Talk to your attorney. Mine didnt  even let me get a car to make it to work. I doubt if you can get a home while under chpt 13

Message 6 of 29
Poorboi
Contributor

Here in Illinois, you are not supposed to touch your credit reports without speaking with your attorney while under  chpt 13

Message 7 of 29
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

If you are going to buy a home while you are in a Ch 13, you do have to have permission of the trustee handling your BK. Naturally you would go through your attorney for the court's approval.

It is possible to get a mortgage loan in a Ch 13, but you would need to speak to a lender to find out their requirements.

Message 8 of 29
ProudMomof5
Contributor

I've heard of people getting a house in a Chapter 13 with their trustee's permission.  Hopefully he won't give me a hard time.  Why can't you pull your own credit report while you're in a Chapter 13?  That doesn't make sense to me.  I need to know what's on my report to make sure everything is reporting correctly.  I'm not trying to wait until five years go by and then I see a ton of stuff reporting wrong on my credit report and then it takes me another two years to fix it.

Message 9 of 29
nicholasc77
Valued Member

My BK7 was discharged on 8/21/2012 and i recieved a capital one visa 2,000 and credit one visa 1,500. Just try rebuilding and apply to sub prime lender i know from experience ($4 Million BK7) Good Luck Smiley Indifferent

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.