Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Pre-qual

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One Pre-qual

How accurate are the Capital One pre-quals? I don't really want a hard pull unless I know it is a sure thing. 

Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Pre-qual

Not sure about the accuracy, but wanted to remind you that it is 3 HPs with a standard Cap1 product. One on each CRA...

Message 2 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What have you got so far since DC? Sometimes we have a bite the bullet for the triple pull to aviod secured cards. I went thru all 5 and ended up with 3. Before you know it. The HP's are gone after a year from your scores.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t have any yet, this would be the first and likely only one for a while if I am approved. I have a mortgage and a Plus loan, and might do a credit builder loan through my credit union. I’m also an authorized user on one of my ex-husband’s cards - I don’t have the card, but it’s still reporting (on my reports) in good standing so I’ll take the boost. I’d also like to get a car loan in about a year.
If Cap One doesn’t approve me for the unsecured card, will they offer a secured option? Or should I just write them off for now? I burned a lot of the biggies including NFCU 😕.
Message 4 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don’t have any yet, this would be the first and likely only one for a while if I am approved. I have a mortgage and a Plus loan, and might do a credit builder loan through my credit union. I’m also an authorized user on one of my ex-husband’s cards - I don’t have the card, but it’s still reporting (on my reports) in good standing so I’ll take the boost. I’d also like to get a car loan in about a year.
If Cap One doesn’t approve me for the unsecured card, will they offer a secured option? Or should I just write them off for now? I burned a lot of the biggies including NFCU 😕.

You already have installments loans. More wont do any good. Have you tried the pre-qual yet? I take it they werent burned.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/prequalify/ 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, figured I didn’t really need the credit builder.
No, didn’t burn Cap One. Pre qualed for Platinum and Quicksilver. My understanding is that the Platinum is better. No annual fee, etc.
Message 6 of 10
Phoenixupward
Regular Contributor

For most it’s accurate.  However, in my case it wasn’t.   I was 1 year post bk discharge and the site kept stating no offers .    Although, I burned cap 1for 6k,  I was aware that others were let back in owing more than I.  I cold apped and was approved for 2k.  Are you receiving an actual apr range?  If so, that’s a good sign.  Perhaps in my case, cap 1 wanted a hp to verify my rebuild as well as I didn’t meet their standards in a sp.  

Message 7 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, figured I didn’t really need the credit builder.
No, didn’t burn Cap One. Pre qualed for Platinum and Quicksilver. My understanding is that the Platinum is better. No annual fee, etc.

If you were pre approved Cap1 is pretty solid. Dont get the Quicksilver 1. Anything else is fine. You dont want the $39 annual fee. Plat can be upgraded to regular QS after around 3 months. If it shows the QS without the 1 thats ok too. Now its up to you. I started with the Plat and that started it all. Good Luck if you decide to go for it.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. 26.6% which is super high, but understandable. It also won’t matter much if I am only carrying a minimal balance.
Message 9 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

With Cap1 while rebuilding and getting higher CLI's is heavy usage and PIF each month. Paying interest on any card is like driving down the highway throwing dollar bills out the window. Pay interest for emergencies only now. Your rebuilding. Use and pay like a debit card. If you dont have the $ to pay, dont charge it. Simple.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.