Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - Denied due to previous app

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One - Denied due to previous app

Received a prequalified mailer from CapOne for the unsecured Platinum card this week, so I decided to give it a shot. I got an instant denial, with a note that I would receive an email or letter explaining the decision.

Today, I got the email and the reason stated was "Based on your application information, there is a currently pending or recently processed application with Capital One."

I was approved for their Secured Card in early November, and I got preapproved for an auto loan earlier this month... but no other applications besides those two. How often does Capital One want to see applications? I thought I had seen posts in the forum of some people getting Platinum and QS cards in quick succession... am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One - Denied due to previous app

I believe at Capital One, you can only open 1 new credit card account every 6 months.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 2 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Above poster is correct. One app and even SP CLI every 6 months.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about those who open plat and QS1 at the same time? I'm with the OP I could have sworn I saw people get both at same time.
Message 4 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

That changed last year when they went to an app every 6 months. I was able to grab 3 in a year in early-mid 2017 I think it was.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it... thanks for the answer! 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

his question is a little off topic, but when did you get the Wayfair credit card? Do you mind revealing what your scores were when you got the credit card? I'm moving and would like a new headboard. Wayfair is the way to go, and the headboard is under $400.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

his question is a little off topic, but when did you get the Wayfair credit card? Do you mind revealing what your scores were when you got the credit card? I'm moving and would like a new headboard. Wayfair is the way to go, and the headboard is under $400.

I got the Wayfair card in early-December, so I would guess my scores were somewhere between the 2 scores below in my signature (unless I had some MAJOR fluctuation between Nov and now...)

If you follow the SCT (shopping cart trick), you'll know beforehand if you're preapproved for the card. Just beware, the SCT is no longer a soft-pull for approval - you will get a hard pull inquiry (on Equifax I believe). It sounds like you are willing to get the inquiry to get a new headboard, so maybe that's not important. Just something to be aware of...

Hope that helps!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.