cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One being very BK friendly

tag
Rmferrer350z

Re: Capital One being very BK friendly

I just read the reason for denial and it states in the letter "recent derragatory history with capital one, yada yada" my cap 1 card was $0 balance when we filed. Unfortunately I don't think the discover route will work. I burned Discover, Chase, Amex and Citi when we filed. Although the only account I was delinquent on was the Amex, everything else was current and paid as agreed. I am a veteran and so I still have NFCU and USAA. I didn't have credit cards with either of them so there's that LOL.
Message 271 of 278
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

What about Barclay's? I know for a fact they issue cards to past customer's who IIB their accounts. They do require 6 months after discharge but I started with them at 6 months post bk disharge at $1300 starting limit, that card now has a $13,700 limit and I also have the Upromise Sallie Mae Master Card with them and it started with a $3000 limit and is now at $11,000. I have been with Barclay's for only 2.5 years and have almost $25k in credit with them. My hubby has similar limits on his cards and he IIB 3 Barclay's cards, so I know they give second chances.

One thing my hubby and I did to rebuild was to add each other as authorized users to every card we received. I think this really helped. Walmart, Amazon and Lowe's are also pretty useful cards for us and they approved us 2-3 months after discharge.  All 3 of those cards are over $5k limits now and Lowe's is at $15k now. All 3 started at around $400 limits, so they grow very quickly. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 272 of 278
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

I just updated my signature, which shows all my starting and current credit limits on all my credit cards......I just wanted to say that Capital One has been wonderful to me and my husband, his cards and limits are very similar to mine. All of our cards started out with very low limits, but I was diligent in using 3-5 times my credit line each month when the limits were really low, paying in full online within a few days of the balance reporting, and as the limits were raised every 6 months, I would use a large portion of the credit line each month and pay in full several times throughout the month to show the creditors that I was resposible and that I could handle a higher credit line. I would pay every balance in full by the statement cut date and rarely let a balance carry over, except once every 3-4 months, and I planned it strategically so that each month, all my cards were paid in full, except one, and that balance was less than 10% of the entire credit line, then the next month I would pay that card off in full and choose another card to leave a balance reporting. I did this continually and still do.

I am now just shy of 3 years post chapter 7 BK discharge (Aug will be 3 years) and I think I have come a loooooong way, baby! :-) All in total, I have over $117k in credit lines and almost $70k of that is from major credit lines like MC and Discover. My husband's credit lines are equally impressive and combined, we have almost $250k in available credit! Much of our success we attribute to the nice CLI's we received from Cap One. We would get increases on our other cards right after an increase on our Cap One cards so I think the other creditors might have been watching and using that as a predictor. 

Now, I have no idea what we will ever do with all this credit, lol, and when I see offers in the mail now, I just toss them because I have no use for more credit. It is a nice feeling. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 273 of 278
Rmferrer350z

I just wanted to give you guys an update. I've been constantly been trying Cap 1's pre-qualify site with no success. Each time it says they can't find a match yada yada yada. Last night I said screw it lets just apply.

I am happy to report that I was APPROVED for a QS1 (annual fee) with a starting limit of $2k! I was floored. I'm going to call and cancel/close my credit one card today. I opted for the cash back card vs the platinum because I plan on putting all my spend on it in order to gain a higher limit in 61 days.

I was discharged on 6/8/16 scores according to myfico 8 score tool is 608/569/626. I'm going to the garden for a while as I'm more than ecstatic about my new approval.
Message 274 of 278
Rmferrer350z

I apologize I forgot to note that I did burn Cap one for about $400 when I filed for BK chap 7.
Message 275 of 278
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Rmferrer350z, first of all congratulations on the approval. I notice you iib your CAP1, however, can tU tell us if the card was charged off before you filed or were you current on the card?
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 276 of 278
Rmferrer350z

Thanks TX! I was current on the card, no lates at the time I filed.
Message 277 of 278
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Wow just like me, thank you.
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 278 of 278
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.