Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one won't let me back in

tag
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Capital one won't let me back in

I am two months post bk and still can't get in with capital one. I burned them for $6500 on my chapter 7. Everytime I try to apply it always says past credit obligations blah blah with no credit pull. Can anyone share their capital one approval post bk? How many months did it take you to get in? I couldn't get approved for anything else other than the credit one I got after discharged. I also have paypal credit by comenity that survived bk but it's a hidden trade line . Everyone else I tried denied me ( VS, Express, Kohls, Buckle, target and Kay) I had Kay's before but they closed it when I filed. I just wanna have one more trade line then I will garden for 6 months. Would credit one be enough for rebuild?

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital one won't let me back in

Capital One seems to a year from discharge some people say 1 year from Charge off date if it was charged off before the BK.

Message 2 of 36
daveg38
Established Contributor

Yes, that's what I'm hearing.

Was your Capital One account(s) showing 30-60-90 days late when you filed? Or what was the status when you filed? With that answer, we can all pretty much tell how Capital One is handling blacklists.

I filed on 2/15/2016. My Capital One cards were charged off in March of 2014. Total amount: around $2300

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Daveg38. Have you been able to get any cap1
Cards ?
Message 4 of 36
daveg38
Established Contributor

@Joortiz3, I haven't tried.

I have my 341 meeting two weeks from today.

So I assume D/C will be around 5/15.

I don't think I'll be blacklisted since my cards were long charged off before I filed.  In fact, everything I can think of that I included in BK has at least 2 years of charge off age.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

We burned Cap1 in our BK7. We got back with them 4mos post discharge. One piece to consider for us is that we had a Cap1360 checking and savings account throughout the entire process. We also had a Sharebuilder (CapitalOneInvesting) brokerage account (with about $5 in it, lol). So we had an ongoing relationship with them.

Good luck. Have to remember that patience is always the key when rebuilding.

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have had no luck getting back in with Capital 1.  I had a $686 balance and was current with them.  When I filed and they immediately closed my account.  I was discharged on 09/11/15 and have tried their pre-qual site every couple of weeks with no luck.  Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 36
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I burned them for less than $300.  Two years post discharge and no love at all (not that I care).  I only got a Kohl's Card, which is backed by them, but that's it.

When I just applied (just for s***s and giggles), I get an auto decline, no credit pull.  Just declined for too many current and previous obligations to Capital One.  Oh well...

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 8 of 36
Pway
Valued Contributor

Capital One is a YMMV thing.  I denied fresh out of bk, however I burned them on some cards.  However, I went the secured route because I could not get in with any other bank at that time.  Around six months or so I was approved for the Platinum and QS1.  It takes some time, some has gotten back in right after discharge while others like myself had to wait a while to get back in.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 9 of 36
notpaul
Regular Contributor

Took me a year
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.