Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ch. 13 and Applying for Student Loans

tag
tallygirl33
Established Member

Ch. 13 and Applying for Student Loans

Thanks for having this great board.  I have learned alot about and I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in BK but I have a couple of questions.

1)  I am currently at the beginning of a Ch. 13 and I am on a five year plan so I don't expect a discharge until 2012.  I want to go back to school within the next few years to get a second grad degree.  Does anyone know if it's possible to get student loans while you are in a Ch. 13 plan?  I am currently paying my student loans as part of the plan and I am up to date on my mortgage and the BK payment.  I'm thinking about letting school go because I don't think a private company would loan me the money to go back to school especially with tuition being so high.  I just want to see what you all think. 

2) Can you pay the plan off early.  I saw on some threads where people paid off their Ch. 13 earlier than the scheduled time.  I asked my attorney and he said that I would have to pay for the whole five years and I could not make an additional payment so I could get out of the plan sooner.  I would love to pay this plan back earlier so I can get on with my life.  Thanks for any advice.

Message Edited by tallygirl33 on 03-14-2008 10:32 AM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wynona01
Regular Contributor

Re: Ch. 13 and Applying for Student Loans

Actually i am in the same boat as  you are. I currently am in a Chapter 13, and i am currently getting my bachelors degree. I was apporved for a Chase and a Wachovia private student loan. They just require you not to have any baddies on your credit report within the last two years. I choose Wachovia, but Chase sends the money directly to you and Wachovia send the money to your school. So try either one of those companies and see what happens. My credit score is in the mid 500's, so that wasnt an issue as well. Good luck with your studies.
Message 2 of 6
tallygirl33
Established Member

Thanks for letting me know.  I'm really relieved that I have a chance.  I have my 2nd mortgage with Wachovia so I will definitely keep it up to date so I can earn some extra goodwill with them.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I filed a  chap 7 Bk discharged in 06 I have two stafford loans with citi bank but I need to get more loans to continue my bachelor's degree. I need to apply for a personal loan but I was afraid to because I did not think I would get it with the bk in your post you stated that chase sends the check directly to you can you give me more information as to what they required and what cr did they pull my scores are in the mid 600's. Did u have to have a co-signer, and what is the most that you can get with them, if you don't mind can you tell me what they approved you for and how long did it take to receive it. This is my first year in school and I have a long way to go and I do not qualify for any government grants.  Also did wachovia require anything special? Thanks for your help.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can address Question 2 : re early bk 13 payoff. Yes, when I filed chapter 13 in July 2002, I was able to pay in off in 3 years( July 2005) discharge.  In addition to the payment automatically taken from my paycheck, I was able to mail additional payments ( money order only) to my Bankruptcy Trustee( the court appointed person who oversees and manages your plan).

I was told by my attorney that I had to at least stay in the scheduled plan plan at least 3 years. If I wanted to pay it off in 2 years - the payments would still be deducted from my paycheck until I fulfill the 3 year requirement stated by the court ( which is absolutely crazy!Smiley Mad)

The bankruptcy Trustee makes sure your payment is allocated to your each of your creditors- and also ensures you are making your payments on time. Try contacting your bankruptcy trustee to find out the procedure for sending additional payments to your bk plan.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by "baddies"?  I have seen that a few times in the forum.  Wouldn' t the Chap 13 be considered a baddie?  I am curious because I will also be attending school again within a year and will need a stafford loan again. 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.