Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ch 7 and Verizon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ch 7 and Verizon

Same here, filed chapter 7 didn't include Verizon, my next bill was $50ish cheaper and both of my device payments were credited.  Kind of a great feeling having a cheaper phone bill now, I will never finance a phone again i'll just pay in cash.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I've got a new twist on this one that I plan to inquire about with Verizon tomorrow. So I was in ATT today to help a relative get set up with them. While there I found out ATT has a heckuva promotion right now. They will give people $700 for their phone as credit if they port in as a new customer. So as I mentioned earlier in this thread I had switched to ATT late last year and left my g/f with just her line under my account at Verizon and I remain eligible to add ATT lines. I noticed this week that Verizon unexpectedly paid the last $175 owing on my g/f's phone because the phone was on a Verizon account still in my name. 

So now I find out today from ATT that not only will they give $700 credit towards new phone but they will allow my g/f to be added to my existing plan for just $25/month + cost of device. That is incredible considering her base Verizon bill right now is $85/month!

ATT's website says the phone number associated with my g/f's Verizon phone is eligible/approved to port. BUT..... I don't know what/if anything Verizon put into place when supposedly wiped out the last $175 on the phone. I think technically the account is in Verizon collections (at least during this time leading up to discharge) even though the account is current and always paid on time. I don't think they can stop the number port but I wonder if they'll try to stop the phone from being traded. The way I see it this can go 2 ways:

1) They make me pay the last $175 on the phone even though they claim on the last bill the amount owing on phone is now $0.

2) They let the phone go as is without any further action from them or me.

The phone is worth $700 to ATT.... even if I had to pay the last $175 to get it released it seems like a good deal.

Anyway, should know the scoop after I talk to Verizon tomorrow and then will go ahead and report back here on findings for benefit of those who follow in the future....

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so had a long chat with Verizon today. Long story short, they said the phone on which they just paid the last $175 as a bankruptcy credit is indeed paid off for good. No gimmicks. No temporary credit. The phone has $0 remaining and is mine. So for those who find themselves in this situation when they credit you for the balance of the phone financing remaining it is definitely legitimate. 

The next test comes today or tomorrow when I take the phone to ATT and try to trade it in on a different phone. This is my girlfriend's phone that has been under my Verizon account and I'd like her to switch to ATT with me so we could save a fair amount of money/month with 2 lines there. Will report back on what happens and if the trade-in to ATT goes smoothly.  

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my final update on this situation. I post here for the benefit of others who may be in the same situation.

As verified previously, Verizon completely paid off the balance owing on a financed phone with them, wiping out $175 balance in direct response to them getting word of my bankruptcy. They told me the phone was now paid free and clear even though previously before their payoff there were 6 months of $30/month that remained.

Tonight, I took the same now paid off phone to AT&T where they gave me $700 credit for it as I opened up a new line with them. Absolutely no problems porting over the Verizon phone number to AT&T and no credit check done by AT&T as I'm an existing customer with them.

Even though I never missed a payment with Verizon I have no idea what would happen if I ever switched back to them. I'll likely never know because I plan to stay with AT&T.

All this to say..... you do certainly have options if your phone is suddenly paid off by your phone provider due to bankruptcy.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.