Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 13 Discharge

tag
rwhite59
Established Member

Chapter 13 Discharge

We paid out our chapter 13 on 6/18, how long does it normally take to get your discharge papers. We have approved for a mortgage but need the discharge papers.
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
johnsj21
Regular Contributor

Re: Chapter 13 Discharge

DH just finished paying on his ch 13 one month ago and according to his paperwork from the trustee they stated the discharge papers would be filed within 4-6 weeks of the final payment being posted.  No ETA on when he'd receive the actual discharg letter.  I tell you what....I'm gonna frame that **bleep** letter when it comes in the mail...it's been a LONG 3 years!!!

9/26/08 TU: 528 EQ: 558 EX: 560
11/7/08 TU:584 EQ:601 EX 600
7/21/09 TU:636 EQ:626
12/27/11 TU: 675 EQ:680
Message 2 of 32
Klaws1000
Valued Member

My last wage attached trustee payment was made in 11/08 - the discharge (along with Bankruptcy Court Order) came in 2/09. 

FICO SCORES: 7/29/14 - TU 692 EX 688 EP ?
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rwhite59 wrote:
We paid out our chapter 13 on 6/18, how long does it normally take to get your discharge papers. We have approved for a mortgage but need the discharge papers.

Made final payment 12/26/08.  Officially discharged 2/10/09.  I guess it's different everywhere - but we received very little support from the offices in getting information after our final payment - some responses were downright mean.  But it came nevertheless.  Party day!  It looks like, from our experience and other poster's, your papers should arrive way soon (6-8 weeks seems normal and you're almost 7 weeks out).

Congratulations on your Mortgage!  And your good work making it through ch13!!!  Best wishes to you!!!!!

Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

We made our last ch 13 plan payment in mid June, 2009. It took three weeks to get our discharge papers! But we were in touch with our trustee and he had given us "permission" to seek funding for a new vehicle. The banks wouldn't accept a permission letter from the trustee, so the trustee said they'd get the discharge to us asap.  About 3 weeks.

this was in Western Washington (state). Have you contacted your trustee to see how long it might take?

Only downside...we are still waiting for the title to our vehicle that we paid off during our plan.

Message 5 of 32
rwhite59
Established Member

We recieved the order from the judge releasing wages maybe we are close to getting the discharge
Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

good news! 

Sorry it seems to be a little pokey - are you still okay on the mortgage you referred to in your OP?

Message 7 of 32
rwhite59
Established Member

As of right now the only hold up is the discharge. If we don't close by September 1st we may lose it.
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

We paid off our chapter 13 May 2006, we received our discharge papers in October 2006. The Bankruptcy is still on our credit report, and it still hurts us. If I had to do it all over again I would never have filed, I think it would have been better to let our home go into foreclosure at least it would have been gone from my credit report by now.
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
We paid off our chapter 13 May 2006, we received our discharge papers in October 2006. The Bankruptcy is still on our credit report, and it still hurts us. If I had to do it all over again I would never have filed, I think it would have been better to let our home go into foreclosure at least it would have been gone from my credit report by now.

Well, let's say your foreclosure would have been in 2003.  It will stay on your records for 7 years - so until 2010.  I'm guessing your BK would have been the same year - so we'll say 2003.  That will stay on your records for 7 years - so until 2010.  In that way, they are probably the same.

The difference is that BK is forever.  It only shows on our CR's for 7 years - but whenever we fill out a form and are asked if we ever filed BK - the answer is "Yes" - even after it's off the reports.

BK if tough - I thought it was devastating - but life (and sometimes people) sometimes create situations that are not reparable any other way.  Kudos to you for completing your BK.  There are many who will work with you even with a BK on your report - seek them out.  Life goes on after BK - and beautifully.

Best wishes!

Good luck!

Message Edited by beamMEup on 08-26-2009 05:46 PM
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.