Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 13 - Opening Non-Credit Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 13 - Opening Non-Credit Accounts

Hello,

I have a question in regards to Chapter 13 recovery. I just filed about 2 months ago and made my trustee payments, I am on a 3 year plan.

I was wondering if people have experience with merchants they have included in BK and re-opening non-credit accounts with them during Chaoter 13 process. For example, I had a balance with PayPal account due to bounced check which was closed, reported to collections and included in BK, or a closed Chase bank account with a negative balance which was also included in my Chapter 13 filing.

I understand that I cannot and will not get any credit before discharge, but I would like to have another PayPal account and Chase bank account (I am now in ChexSystems). How long will it be before they will remove me from Chexsystems and I can open another account with Chase/PayPal etc.

Thank you,

RA

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chapter 13 - Opening Non-Credit Accounts

Why not join a credit union and build a relationship with them for 3 years? They'll be more willing to offer you credit after discharge than chase will be
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to do that actually. I thought that credit unions are usually very tough on credit/chexsystems and not willing to open an account for a deadbeat like myself.

Also, please take a note as what I have mentioned. I would like to in the future use services that I have burned, such as PayPal, Chase and I am NOT looking for credit, I just want to be a customer without being afraid that my account will be closed etc.

For example, I do part-time freelance work and people like to pay me in PayPal, I cannot take PayPal because my account is closed and I owe them. How could I go about/when could I reopen my PayPal account given that I am in Chapter 13 making payments on my debts.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this matter?

Thanks in advance!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have a question in regards to Chapter 13 recovery. I just filed about 2 months ago and made my trustee payments, I am on a 3 year plan.

I was wondering if people have experience with merchants they have included in BK and re-opening non-credit accounts with them during Chaoter 13 process. For example, I had a balance with PayPal account due to bounced check which was closed, reported to collections and included in BK, or a closed Chase bank account with a negative balance which was also included in my Chapter 13 filing.

I understand that I cannot and will not get any credit before discharge, but I would like to have another PayPal account and Chase bank account (I am now in ChexSystems). How long will it be before they will remove me from Chexsystems and I can open another account with Chase/PayPal etc.

Thank you,

RA

If you have derogatory info in Chexsystems it remains there for 5 years IIRC.  I am not sure how Chase will respond if you try to open an account beforehand.  Maybe they can override a negative decision?  Does it have to be Chase bank right now or will another major bank suffice for your checking account?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are unable to get in with a credit union - What about WF, they have a product called "Opportunity Checking", which is for people with previous credit or banking challenges. I don't know the details, but if your looking for one of the big guys, it may be worth exploring.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly, I had a WF cc and checking account that were both closed and declared in my Ch.13 list.

RA

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've had experiences with both companies.  Once my BK was filed (which included Chase) all collection efforts had to cease and I was able to open another account.  It has been 3 years and I have had no issues. 

As far as Paypal (which was also included) I set up a new account with a different email (because the old email was blocked by Paypal) but did not add my social to the file because I was unsure on if they would close the new account.

Chexsystems also updates when they receive notification of BK filing so Chase will be removed.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.