cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

The United States Bankruptcy Code states that you must include all debt.  If the card has a zero balance it does not have to be included, there is no debt.  Any debt owed, even if it is your great great granny has to be listed in the BK. As for keeping cards open, you can not in a chapter 13, a chapter 7 you might be able to work something out after the BK but most of the time the card issuer closes the accounts.
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

when i filled for chapter 7 my attorney actually charged me 10 bucks to pull my credit report and that is when he got all the creditors list to include in chapter 7 filling notification. Now, i got discharged in june 3 and some of my card got survived and i like to use them (for building my creditc back purpose). so some says okay to use as long as creditor doesnt pull your report, other says it would/may consider fraud.... well i guess i gotta ask this to a lawyer now. 

Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 23
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

when i filled for chapter 7 my attorney actually charged me 10 bucks to pull my credit report and that is when he got all the creditors list to include in chapter 7 filling notification. Now, i got discharged in june 3 and some of my card got survived and i like to use them (for building my creditc back purpose). so some says okay to use as long as creditor doesnt pull your report, other says it would/may consider fraud.... well i guess i gotta ask this to a lawyer now. 

Smiley Sad

That is exactly what my attorney did.

Incidently, for those holding a zero-balance card that survived a bankruptcy discharge and they believe they have a right to use, how about calling the creditor and verifying that you can legally use them? If you don't want to do that, I'm suggesting that you know how legally questionable the action would be. Go for it. Give it  a try. Remember that getting away with doing something does not make that action legal.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay this is really weird. ..i just called Amex and spoke with a representative. I asked him if my account needs to be closed, reaffirmed or good to use due to my recent bankruptcy? He said let me check. ..few minutes later he said my card is OK to use. I repeat it again that I had a bankruptcy doesn't that affects my accounts he said your account shows good to use you have bee with us 13 yrs...blah blah...
I am going to call them again. .this sounds to good to be true. ..
Message 14 of 23
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay this is really weird. ..i just called Amex and spoke with a representative. I asked him if my account needs to be closed, reaffirmed or good to use due to my recent bankruptcy? He said let me check. ..few minutes later he said my card is OK to use. I repeat it again that I had a bankruptcy doesn't that affects my accounts he said your account shows good to use you have bee with us 13 yrs...blah blah...
I am going to call them again. .this sounds to good to be true. ..

Great. Now at least you have the creditor telling you that you can use it. Go buy yourself a nice steak dinner!

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am a vegetarian , i wont eat steak. its amazin how there are some many rulles and always some exceptions.

Message 16 of 23
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i am a vegetarian , i wont eat steak. its amazin how there are some many rulles and always some exceptions.

Know that I just gave myself a dozen lashes with a hadful of wet noodles for my assumption that you love steak like I do. Now go buy yourself a nice meal of noodles! lol

Message 17 of 23
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

Incidently, for those holding a zero-balance card that survived a bankruptcy discharge and they believe they have a right to use, how about calling the creditor and verifying that you can legally use them? If you don't want to do that, I'm suggesting that you know how legally questionable the action would be. Go for it. Give it  a try. Remember that getting away with doing something does not make that action legal.

I assume we are talking about surviving accounts that had a $0-balance the day of filing. If so, there is absolutely nothing questionable about using these cards after BK. 

When no debt existed the day of filing, the accounts weren't involved in the BK in the first place. The debtor is responsible for all charges made to these accounts AFTER filing. I also don't understand why I should consider myself lucky in "getting away" with using AND paying a credit-card.

In addition to that, it would probably take me the rest of the day to list all the inaccurate information I obtained over the years by so-called "customer service representatives" over the phone - so I would certainly not take anything they tell me for granted. In a legal dispute, I couldn't prove it in the first place.

So in 9 out of 10 times, calling a creditor about such an account will very likely result in account-closure - and that's about it.

Message 18 of 23
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

other says it would/may consider fraud.... well i guess i gotta ask this to a lawyer now. 

Smiley Sad

Don't worry - you're good to go. It would be fraud if you would try to get rid if debt occured after filing and claiming that it was part of your BK-debt. THAT is fraud. 

Wilfully not listing debt? A no-go. Not listing accounts with $0-Balances? That's actually the law because it is impossible to file an accurate BK-petition that contains $0-accounts.

Obtaining debt after filing and paying it - perfectly legal.Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 23
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@ScoreBooster wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

I assume we are talking about surviving accounts that had a $0-balance the day of filing. If so, there is absolutely nothing questionable about using these cards after BK. 

When no debt existed the day of filing, the accounts weren't involved in the BK in the first place. The debtor is responsible for all charges made to these accounts AFTER filing. I also don't understand why I should consider myself lucky in "getting away" with using AND paying a credit-card.

In addition to that, it would probably take me the rest of the day to list all the inaccurate information I obtained over the years by so-called "customer service representatives" over the phone - so I would certainly not take anything they tell me for granted. In a legal dispute, I couldn't prove it in the first place.

So in 9 out of 10 times, calling a creditor about such an account will very likely result in account-closure - and that's about it.

My assumption is that you actually filed a bankruptcy petition right? I did.

One way or the other, the creditors will know about the bankruptcy filing. Bottom line is that it is up to the creditor to decide whether ot cancel or leave active any zero-balance credit card subsequent to a bankruptcy discharge. Thank the creditor if the TL remains active and useable. The "fine print" in some credit card agreements state that the account becomes inactive if the account holder files for bankruptcy. After my ch7 disharge, I tried to use two of my zero-balance cards [Wells Fargo and Cap1] and found that they were cancelled automatically when I filed. Like others here, I too assumed that they were available for my use so I did not call the creditors until my charges were declined. YMMV.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.