Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 7 auto loan

I will try to keep this brief... filed chapter 7 in February, meeting was in March. I chose to surrender my vehicle due to being upside down on loan and multiple mechanical problems. I was financed through regional. They picked my car up on May 8th and my BK doesn't discharge until next week, June 14. They didn't contact me, showed up at a house I had never been to before, did not call me to set anything up, and as far as knew per my attorney at my hearing they would not get it until after discharge. I contacted my attorney and he gave me a number to contact for pre discharge financing, I was denied. I borrowed a car from a family member in hopes of getting financed after discharge. I have to have a car for my job, it is literally my office. I feel like someone pulled The rug out from underneath me and desperately need to get financed for an auto loan. I'm in Columbus Ohio if that helps . Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance!!
11 REPLIES 11
StartinOver
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 auto loan

Mine was taken after the judge ok"d it after the 341. THey contacted me and came and got it right away. In my small town no one gives auto loands until you are discharged. A 120 miles away in a bigger town, they sent me offer for before dischage.

Good luck.

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a auto loan weeks before I even had my 341. There are options out there and I went through prestige auto finance.. also I know I was approved by portfolio financial. I did kinda gather a lot of Kia dealerships do sub prime lending so start there and just call dealers.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you only have 5 days until discharge I would deff wait though
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke with the administrator of my BK discharge and she told me I can pick up my discharge letter tomorrow. I desperately need to purchase a car, how many days should I wait after discharge? Thanks for your help!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can purchase the same day as the discharge. You may have to have a nice sum of money for a down payment.
Message 6 of 12
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Did you get a car?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same predicament. I filed a chapter 7 on 3/31/2017 and recieved my discharge today (according to Pacer).  It has not yet shown up on my credit report (Transunion of Experian).  My current car was financed through Regional Acceptance who sent me a letter stating they will repossess if payment has not been recieved by 7/19/17 (in TWO days).  I tried to get a pre-discharge auto loan but was denied due to my high amount of student loans, although I have a decent income.

I have b een told that I have to wait until the discharge shows up on my credit report in order to get financed.  I'm super worried my car will get reposessed before this happens and I'll be without a means to get to work. 

How long will the discharge take to show up on my credit report?

Message 8 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the same predicament. I filed a chapter 7 on 3/31/2017 and recieved my discharge today (according to Pacer).  It has not yet shown up on my credit report (Transunion of Experian).  My current car was financed through Regional Acceptance who sent me a letter stating they will repossess if payment has not been recieved by 7/19/17 (in TWO days).  I tried to get a pre-discharge auto loan but was denied due to my high amount of student loans, although I have a decent income.

I have b een told that I have to wait until the discharge shows up on my credit report in order to get financed.  I'm super worried my car will get reposessed before this happens and I'll be without a means to get to work. 

How long will the discharge take to show up on my credit report?

Most places will accept printed discharge papers rather than waiting for it to reflect "discharged" on your reports.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went through this, I was financed through credit acceptance, and my attorney also told me the finance company would contact me, they didnot. They came on a Saturday in May and they took my car. I was in tears. I'm a single mom, and my job is a great distance from my home. I went to a dealership, they could not get me approved,but saud they would continue working and they did. I am now in a vehicle, I got financed through a subprime lender call SAFECO as a dealership to finance you through SAFECO. I had to pay $1,100.00 down ( I didn't have it) I put $500 down and they let me post date a check for the rest. I have only had my vehicle a month, but I have peace of mind. Dont' Give Up

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.