Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 discharged- now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 7 discharged- now what?

Hello. I filed on 8/15/19 and was discharged on 11/16/19. I read on here that some people will apply for secured cards right away and then to “garden” after planting these seeds. Before bk my Ex score was around 680 and during it dropped to 600. My current scores now are Ex 624 Eq 638 Tu 603. My experian score was 616 yesterday but I added some utility accounts with experian booster and got 8 points added.

Yesterday I applied for a discover it secured card and was denied. I want to start building my credit back. What is a good card to apply for this soon after BK?

I have 10 past inquires on my EX report and 2 should have been removed already since they are over 2 years old, I will call on Monday to have them removed and then would like to apply for a different secured card. TU and EQ are only showing 2 inquires. Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 discharged- now what?

Welcome @Anonymous . FICO only holds a HP for 1 year against your score. But creditors can see it for 2 yrs. Calling wont do any good. Who got burned in BK so we can lead you to who you could apply for.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for your reply. Sorry, what is HP?

The burned creditors were capital one, Bank of America, citi, TD bank, chase
Message 3 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello. I filed on 8/15/19 and was discharged on 11/16/19. I read on here that some people will apply for secured cards right away and then to “garden” after planting these seeds. Before bk my Ex score was around 680 and during it dropped to 600. My current scores now are Ex 624 Eq 638 Tu 603. My experian score was 616 yesterday but I added some utility accounts with experian booster and got 8 points added.

Yesterday I applied for a discover it secured card and was denied. I want to start building my credit back. What is a good card to apply for this soon after BK?

I have 10 past inquires on my EX report and 2 should have been removed already since they are over 2 years old, I will call on Monday to have them removed and then would like to apply for a different secured card. TU and EQ are only showing 2 inquires. Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

This part. Inq's are Hard Pulls. You can try OpenSky, Merrick Bank, to start with. OpenSky no HP. Merrick will double your limit. Cap1 willlet you back in near a year out.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet, thanks so much!
Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

No problem. Dont hesitate to ask any questions before you make any moves. Every single card below I researched on here before applying.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I just applied for the secured open sky card thanks to your recommendation and got approved for $300.

So now I have 7 open accounts. One department store credit card I had since 2005 made it through BK with $2300 CL. Mortgage account, I’m a co-signer on my mother’s 2nd mortgage. 3 self proclaimed account- Peco, Comcast, Sprint and my new open sky card.

My questions is, how many accounts should I have until I chill out for awhile and make payments to let the credit history build up. Is it cool as is or should I get 1 more account?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's an update, a few days after discharge. I was denied a discover secured CC for too many inq. so i called and asked for a reconsideration since some were over 2 years old, and they said no, try again in a few months. I was approved for an open sky secured credit card. I checked my pre-approval with cap 1 and BOA and was not pre-qualified. Then i checked the pre-qualification for a unsecured credit one bank CC and was pre-approved, then i applied and was approved for $500 CL and only a $39 annual fee instead of the $99 fee so that's cool. Thanks again.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.