Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 or 13

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 7 or 13

When talking about discharge dates and file dates in credit card applications and such are the discharge dates for 7 and 13 the same? I've read these forums for a long time and just never signed up or posted. I know a chapter 7 stays on your record for 10 years and 13 for 7 years but didn't know if you have a 13 if you need to wait 6 months or a year or two after discharge to start applying for credit.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chapter 7 or 13

I got a secured card 1 month post 13 discharge.  7 months post discharge I applied for non-secured and was approved.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I appreciate the response. 4 payments left and my 13 has completed the 5 years.
Message 3 of 12
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I opened an auto loan and unsecured card, both with Cap1, within a week of my 13 discharge.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

When it discharges do you have to do anything or is it just make your last payments and it's done? Like do I have to go to more meetings or give them my bank account information again?
Message 5 of 12
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I had to fill out a form. It was a few weeks between the final payment and discharge.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the swift response. I'd really prefer to not go through all the financial stuff again. I just want this thing discharged so I can get back to rebuilding.
Message 7 of 12
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I don't think they'll ask for any additional financials

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:
I had to fill out a form. It was a few weeks between the final payment and discharge.

Same here.  I also had to take some 'test' online about how to stay out of trouble Smiley Happy  My attorney wouldnt file the paperwork until he was notified I had completed that.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the answers. Is that "test" like the one you have to take to start the 13 where if x is what you make and y is your bills x has to be greater than y? Once tho get the discharge papers does it take awhile to hit your credit report saying discharged?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.