Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 was denied. Now what??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 7 was denied. Now what??

My chapter 7 was denied, and this has all been so stressful. My attorney did the means test and it was ok, but the trustee asked for so many documents and I could not provide them all. It was my bankruptcy, and they wanted a ton of stuff from my wife..and we are having issues so she didn't provide them.

What is next for me since it wasn't approved? Is there hope to be changed to a chapter 13? I continue to make my mortgage payments, so I don't lose my house. Just looking for any other folks that didn't get their chapter 7 debts discharged and what happened after.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chapter 7 was denied. Now what??

@jjb11 - So sorry to hear this.  Ask your attorney to convert your case to a 13.

Message 2 of 32
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Whats your lawyer say? Was it listed as dismissed? You can convert to a Chapter 13 without her I guess. Do something soon. Maybe another lawyer who can get things done right with a 13. The BK will still be on your reports and now your not protected. Back to square one really. So sorry this happened.

Message 3 of 32
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Bummer! What documentation couldn't you provide? Were you no asset? 

Message 4 of 32
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

13 should be a lot easier.

Are you sure you have a good attorney?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good questions and advice above....just want to add, I'm sorry. I know how stressful this is. 

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first time posting here, and awesome support from everyone. Hard to talk to people about this. Appreciate it very much. I will explore the chapter 13 route now. Great advice!!!
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

They kept asking for more items from my spouse. Her credit cards, her auto loans..and that was hard to get from her. Then they wanted all her bank statements, and I couldn't provide them. This is my filing and it wasn't a joint filing. I provided so many documents and then they kept asking for more and more. I told my attorney I have given them everything..nothing more to give. They almost had a full year worth of paystubs from my wife and I. I thought it was all a 6 month data view. Just frustrating they kept asking for more and further timeframes. Before this I was never late to a creditor, and never filed for BK before. I just needed a fresh start.
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

My friend had a chapter 7 BK two years ago, and he is able to get Credit Cards now. With a chapter 13, am I screwed for the 5 years I'm in it. Will I have any chance of getting a credit card while I'm paying for the chapter 13 term?
Message 9 of 32
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What comes to mind and I'm no lawyer. Forgot about your credit future for now. Get the present in the past first. I'd sure as hell get a different lawyer and throw it all on them and I guess you can get a re-do and a diferent trustee that didnt get up on the wrong side of the bed.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.