Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Starbucks visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Starbucks visa

I kept getting emails about the chase Starbucks Visa card, but I’m only 8, almost 9 months post ch7. I know chase is a minimum of 5 years before they can approved, but I took a chance and app’d For it. Is it normal that it wouldn’t be denied immediately? The response was they needed to review my account first and the process takes 30 days.

Has anyone seen this before with chase?

18 REPLIES 18
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Starbucks visa

@Anonymous wrote:
I kept getting emails about the chase Starbucks Visa card, but I’m only 8, almost 9 months post ch7. I know chase is a minimum of 5 years before they can approved, but I took a chance and app’d For it. Is it normal that it wouldn’t be denied immediately? The response was they needed to review my account first and the process takes 30 days.

Has anyone seen this before with chase?

30 days with Chase is usually a good sign (manual review of sorts) whereas the 7-10 day message is usually a decline. I don't know if I would use Chase as an avenue to rebuild, they can be a tough nut to crack on standard cards and although slightly less difficult for co-branded cards like Amazon or AARP (et al) I'm not very sold on the Starbucks card, especially with the annual fee which frankly just seems greedy. 

I have a 20 oz Starbucks Coffee every day (just coffee, I'll go to an ice cream shop if that's what I'm looking for, not an ersatz Starbucks version) and yes I use the phone app and collect stars so my wife can have the earned free drinks. I just don't see any value in the Starbucks card.

I don't know where you are in your rebuilding/recovery process, but Cap-1, Discover or secured cards seems like a much better choice to rebuild (I'd avoid Credit One, First Premier, and their vulture clones).

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only cards I ultimately want are discover and navy federal. I have a secured with Navy fed. Only 3 months old. And I just gave in and got a secured discover card. I do have a high interest credit card I got right after my discharge that I plan on cancelling before it hits a year. Honestly, I don’t see value in it either, but since I kept getting emails about it, I figured I could use it to get in the door with chase. Although, I haven’t tried any other credit card with them since my discharge is only 8 months old. I tried prequal for capital one, and im still on the blacklist with them. The 2 store cards I have, I barely use. Only got them to rebuild my credit.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you IIB Chase on your BK7?

Message 4 of 19
matchu
Valued Member

You can probably call Chase (backdoor number?) and see what's going on. A lot of times the 30 days notice means they need to verify info. 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I haven’t had a chase card before. I’m authorized user on someone’s chase card.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No, I haven’t had a chase card before. I’m authorized user on someone’s chase card.

Did you get approved?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same 30 day notice. I just checked few days ago. Nothing in the mail yet.
Message 8 of 19
Scupra
Super Contributor

Ride the wait out and see what happens. Like others said, 30 days is the ‘better’ response. If you get a decline, call up and try to sweet talk your way in through a recon. Good luck! Chase isn’t strict on the 5 years btw Smiley Wink in no way easy though
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

hope you get approved
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.