tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Checking account question during chapter 7

@Anonymous wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

You need to CLOSE that Chase credit card.   Your attorney will list every creditor on your credit report on your matrix and send them a notice.   Even with a zero balance on that Chase card, it will be written off as "included in bankruptcy" and you will be locked out of Chase for an even longer period of time.    Right now Chase won't approve anyone with a BK appearing on their credit report, so that's 10 years, but if you had an account with them that was included in bankruptcy, you may be locked out for 20 years.   Chase has a very long memory.   And there is no way that card will survive.   Chase and AMEX are ruthless.

OK so it seems the consenseous is closing the chase card before filing.  I also have a best buy card, dell financial card, and a west elm(all which are store cards...should I just leave those open with Zero balances?)

Also, should I close that chase checking account too even though I wont be burning them? I just opened it but I suppose I could open a checking account at Wells fargo. I dont have any credit listed with them. 

I didnt have any Chase cards during BK. I had checking and it didnt bother them at all. Assuming you closed the freedom.

ok I closed the chase card.. I still have a best buy card, Dell financial credit line, west elm credit line, and a discount tire credit line...  they all have Zero balances... Should I leave them open in hopes that they make it through the chapter 7 or should I close them? 

Thank guys!

BUMP

Message 11 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Sometimes people don't list a creditor because the account had a zero balance. Unfortunately, the lenders don’t look at this the same way you do. Many creditors subscribe to services that pursue the bankruptcy filings nationwide on a daily basis. (Lexus/Nexus for 1 will show it)They compare the filings to their own customer databases. Any active account even if it has a zero balance that matches up to a bankruptcy case will lose its borrowing privileges immediately. It's possible to still keep the zero balance accounts active, but not a guarantee. You do not have to list the zero balance accounts in the bankruptcy, because they are not debts. However, if you list other debts with the same company or the company does a periodic credit check on you and discovers the bankruptcy, they may close down your credit account, even if nothing is owed and it is in good standing.

Your lawyer will give the best advise. Risk it or play it safe. Its your choice. I chose not to answer. Good Luck!

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Sometimes people don't list a creditor because the account had a zero balance. Unfortunately, the lenders don’t look at this the same way you do. Many creditors subscribe to services that pursue the bankruptcy filings nationwide on a daily basis. (Lexus/Nexus for 1 will show it)They compare the filings to their own customer databases. Any active account even if it has a zero balance that matches up to a bankruptcy case will lose its borrowing privileges immediately. It's possible to still keep the zero balance accounts active, but not a guarantee. You do not have to list the zero balance accounts in the bankruptcy, because they are not debts. However, if you list other debts with the same company or the company does a periodic credit check on you and discovers the bankruptcy, they may close down your credit account, even if nothing is owed and it is in good standing.

Your lawyer will give the best advise. Risk it or play it safe. Its your choice. I chose not to answer. Good Luck!

thanks for the input!  I'm curious to see what others have to say on this subjuect matter...

Message 13 of 16
kerinmiami
Regular Contributor

I just started the process of BK on 8-26-2019. Amex, yes my lawyer told me about them. I do not need to have my Amex card in the BK but i can't cherry pick cards. I am here in Miami, and there Reg HQ is near in Sunrise (Broward County - Fort Lauderdale). I wonder if they will show up to MOC? 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo and Chase

OK so im planning to file for Chapter 7 and I currently owe on a boa credit card and my account is overdrafted.  My lawyer advised me to get another bank account before I file.  

So, I opened up a checking account with Wells Fargo.  However I just read where they will freeze checking accounts even if you dont owe them anything.. Is there any truth to that? 

I also opened a chase checking account and I had two cards withn them (a freedom , and Slate) both of which Had a zero balance. And I just closed both actually.. Will my chase checking be Ok to use during and after the Chapter 7?

Please let me know which checking account would be ok to use.. thanks!

Message 15 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo and Chase

As i said in and earlier thread about closing your cards. Chase didnt bother me at all. I left once I found out they dont do credit for people with BK's. Thats how I ended up with SunTrust which approved me 2 yrs out.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.