Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Bank Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Bank Secured Card

Hey, Ive read in the forum that citi bank is not too forgiving to bk. I have not heard of anyone mentioning taking out a citi secured card. I got a pre offer on my credit karma account for citi secured card. Has anyone burned them and approved for a citi secured card? Also does it upgrade to unsecured after?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Bank Secured Card

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Citi's policy to unsecure the secured card is after 18 months of good behavior- but they supposedly start account reviews at 9 months so graduation to unsecured has happened sooner for some.   I believe they also require you to be at least 2 years post-discharge to be approved for the secured - but don't quote me on that. They also don't allow you to add to your deposit to increase your limit after the fact -  so if you do app and are approved, consider thay when making your initial deposit so you'll have a usable spending limit for your needs.

As for burning them in BK - I have no idea, sorry. 

Have you looked into Discover secured?

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 5
Getty59
Regular Contributor

From what I hear the Credit Karma pre-qualified is kinda garbage. Not trying to say one way or another but thought I would throw it out there.

NFCU More Rewards: $23,100

NFCU Cash Rewards: 25,000

Capital One Venture: $10,250
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep getting razzed for pointing out my "opinion" of things like this, so hopefully moderating myself a little bit here will avoid that.

No, Credit Karma and Experian's card matching features do not mean you'll get approved for a card.

Multiple people have even said that they were in the 90%+ odds on Experian and still got a hard pull and turned down.

My husband was 83% for an American Express Blue Cash Preferred, has very good credit and plenty of income, and good payment history on 4 existing credit cards, and Amex still declined it with several listed reasons, and I'll quote them directly so that we don't get someone trying to claim that I'm being unfair:

The amount of credit available on your bank credit card account with the least credit available is too low (Experian)

Our evaluation of the accounts on your credit report based on the number, type, length of time opened, and credit risk level. (Experian)

The length of time is too short since the first account on your credit report was opened. (Experian)

Too few credit card accounts on which, in our estimation, you have paid a majority of the balance in recent months. (Experian)

So, in fact, according to Amex themselves, they have numerous requirements that fewer than average people would actually manage to get past. "Average" meaning, that with some other companies, you are more likely to get a card even with no pre-established credit history at all.

For example, Capital One gave my husband his first card with no established credit history, and Discover followed that by giving him a Discover It card just several months after that.

Let us also go through each one of these reasons Amex gave him, line by line.

They admit that you have to have a card with a high available credit limit. His highest credit limit is $600 because Capital One and Discover both lowered credit limits earlier in the year and said they were shoring up their risks due to the Coronavirus crisis, which they expect will result in bankruptcies due to high unemployment at some point.

The last one is also a real head-scratcher because we use the cards like a debit card (for points) and pay them all off multiple times per month. Therefore, it is impossible that "the majority of the balance is not paid in full" each month on any of the cards, much less the majority.

They admit that they get their decision-making "facts" from Experian, which is the one that recommended Amex in the first place, and Experian states that their matching tool is driven by creditors working directly with them to tell consumers what to apply for based on the requirements for the card.

They stipulate to having higher standards about the length of account history than other companies do.

In fact, it seems that people are better off by asking the card companies directly to pre-screen them for something because the three times my husband did that, he got the cards they pre-screened him for directly.

In fact, Experian is making a commission, as is CreditKarma, each time someone gets approved for a card. And they aren't the ones who will suffer from having their credit knocked down 5 or 10 points with a hard pull decline. So, it's logical to say that they have an incentive to fuzz and make it seem you're likely to get a card, and then they can say (when you're declined) tha there was a "17% chance" you wouldn't.

Whereas people who have been through a bankruptcy (my husband hasn't, but I have) especially don't need any negative factors, it therefore reasons that they should be particularly skeptical of commission-based sites that recommend them for cards they may actually not get based on some black box formula that tries boiling down very complex requirements that they may not meet into a percentage.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a bumper post, here's another one about CreditKarma recommending cards to people.

My bankruptcy was filed in May 2020 and discharged August 2020.

Credit Karma recommends a Citi Secured Mastercard with Good approval odds.

I clicked Apply Now.

Citi's Secured Mastercard page says having filed bankruptcy in the past two years automatically disqualifies you ("You must not have any bankruptcy history in the last two years."), _and_ I filed bankruptcy against Citi with almost $6000 charged to that card (plus interest).

But Credit Karma says "Good" approval odds. How does that work? You do a hard pull and Citi says no, obviously, because it's right there on their site that they'll say no. 

Again, your hard credit pull damage isn't Credit Karma's problem. Is it? If they can get their referral approvals up a tiny bit and earn more revenue, but it's the problem of the people who apply if their application goes splat and damages their credit report, they have a conflict of interest with you.

Is referring people that they know absolutely will not be approved for the card and telling them they have Good odds ethical? I'm hardly the first person to point out their behavior, but here it is in black and white.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.