cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Cell Phone Account Prior to Chp. 7

Highlighted

Closing Cell Phone Account Prior to Chp. 7

So I have had AT&T for years. Now that I'm planning on filing, I'm trying to see where I can cut corners and better stretch my money since I'm trying to file soon. Anywho, last month for 1 person (me) AT&T charged me 296 bucks ! I was not behind . My bill on average was about 200 a month . I gave in and paid the 296. Now this month's bill is 388 bucks. I asked for them to explain the charges and I was told it was because of overage fees . Fast forward, they wouldnt budge and couldn't logically explain to me why I'm paying  684 for two months bills. I told them I wanted to cancel my service as I was refusing to pay that much in two months . It's ridiculous . If I were to close this account and get Verizon, would that look bad on me going into bankruptcy? Also, if I close it, should I still pay it or have it dismissed in bankruptcy. My bill is due in about 3 days and I refuse to give them more money and my data plan wasn't unlimited ! How should I proceed? Thanks .

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing Cell Phone Account Prior to Chp. 7

Get a prepaid phone - I have a Samsung 7s, my wife has a nice mid-level Sony phone, we purchase the phones unlocked and own them.  Our current plan is unlimited talk/text/data including LTE, $40 a month (each). We've been doing it for years. 

Add: The phones are on T-mobile and I also have an AT&T Onstar wifi hotspot in the car if I'm in a T-mobile dead zone which does not occur often around here.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing Cell Phone Account Prior to Chp. 7

I’d include it in bankruptcy. If your phone is paid off just get a Straight Talk card it’s 55 bucks unlimited
Currently awaiting BK discharge ?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.