Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Account Reported after Filling

tag
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Collection Account Reported after Filling

I'm about a month from being discharged.  Ch7 BK.

One of my accounts that was sold before I filed was just listed in the "collections section" on one of my credit reports.  It's the only account listed even though others were in collections before I filed.  

Can they report this even though I've filed already?  The collections company along with the original creditor was listed in my bk paperwork and were both notified of the bk by the court.  It's been 6 weeks since I filed so they obviously know I filed.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Fx6cowboy
Contributor

Re: Collection Account Reported after Filling

If this debt was discharged in bankruptcy and/or included in your petition if you havent gotten that fair, then no this is against the law. A bankruptcy order is a cease of all collection activities. Reporting a debt to the CRAs after doings so is a violation. I would contact your lawyer. This collection company can end up in some hot water. They will most likely remove it. Hope this helps!

Started from the bottom now I'm here. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Ok that sounds good.  Just to clarify a few things before I do anything.  

I'm still waiting for my discharge.  I filed 6 weeks ago. This account was included in my petition. Both the original creditor and the collections agency.

The account was sold before I filed for Ch7 Bk.  It is only showing up now on one of my credit reports in the collection section.

So what you are saying is that a collection agency is not allowed to report anything after I've filed or discharged?

Message 3 of 8
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

So here is a screen grab of what shows.  It's a new account listed on my credit report.  The collection agency is just making it known that they were owed money.  They are ofcourse listed as a collection agency.  Again though it's not an update it's completely new account on my report.  The bought the debt from the original creditor before I filed. 

Since I filed already can they add themselves to my credit report since they along with the original creditor were listed on the petition? Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 3.21.25 PM.png

Message 4 of 8
Fx6cowboy
Contributor

Thats a pretty simple fix, in terms of credit reporting - a furnisher has to report 100% accurate information on your credit report. Meaning missing information, incomplete information and errors are not allowed. When I took a look at your image, there are serveral things listed as inaccurate. Also, this is a collection agency reporting a term on your credit report. I am pretty sure that trade line could easily be removed. If I were you, I would contact the attorney and go from there. I dont really want to go too in depth because this needs to be done right so, I would contact your attorney. Hopefully they are familiar with FCRA compliance. Good luck

Message 5 of 8
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info but what do you see that is inaccurate in the screen shot?
Message 6 of 8
Fx6cowboy
Contributor

From this report, Balance and Term. I would order your reports from the actual CRAs to see how this account is actually reporting. If something is reported, nothing really should be left blank. And again as for a collection agency, they are not revolving accounts. They are by nature charged off accounts. So they should not be reporting a term.

Message 7 of 8
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Ahh ok.  What about them adding a new trade line while I'm in the middle of a bk?  Or does that matter?  The original creditor actually deleted the trade line either before I filled or right after.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.