Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections after discharge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections after discharge?

I just received a letter from a collection agency regarding a debt that was included in my Ch. 7. This is the second letter I’ve gotten from an agency regarding discharged debt. The agency can’t be reached via phone. Like they keep you on hold and then say you can’t be assisted and direct you to the website. The website just wants you to pay and nothing more. How do I get rid of this before it reports to my credit? Is it normal for discharged debt to go to the collection agency?
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections after discharge?

@Anonymous wrote:
I just received a letter from a collection agency regarding a debt that was included in my Ch. 7. This is the second letter I’ve gotten from an agency regarding discharged debt. The agency can’t be reached via phone. Like they keep you on hold and then say you can’t be assisted and direct you to the website. The website just wants you to pay and nothing more. How do I get rid of this before it reports to my credit? Is it normal for discharged debt to go to the collection agency?

Send them a stern letter with a copy of the discharge demanding that they cease and desist immediately. If they refuse then go to the trustee of your BK and have that person take care of it, they take a dim view of this.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.