Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity and IIB.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity and IIB.

I had an Overstock.com account from Comenity that was never used and never had a balance. They have updated the account status to "Discharged in Bankruptcy". Should I get this removed as it was an account in good standing, never late. Is "closed by creditor" better than "Discharged"?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity and IIB.

@Anonymous wrote:

I had an Overstock.com account from Comenity that was never used and never had a balance. They have updated the account status to "Discharged in Bankruptcy". Should I get this removed as it was an account in good standing, never late. Is "closed by creditor" better than "Discharged"?

Did you file for ch7 or ch11?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

CH 7

But if there was never a balance it should not be marked "discharged" it should just be marked "closed by creditor" correct?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity often times has mistakes or errors with accounts in bankruptcy.

Even though I had an account with them IIB... they never deleted it and kept reporting past due and requesting payment.

I called in and was transferred to bk department and they were super nice and closed the account...

why not just call them and ask?

Be like... hey I didnt have a balance with you guys, can you just update this for me please?

I also same day got approved for an overstock card for 250 the day it was closed out... so i guess ill see what happens when it arrives in mail?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will give them a call.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just getting back online....let us know how it goes and report back Smiley Happy

Good luck!!

Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

CH 7

But if there was never a balance it should not be marked "discharged" it should just be marked "closed by creditor" correct?

^^^This is the exact reason I suggest closing zero balance accounts yourself prior to filing Bk - this 'mistake' is common. If you have an open account that has a zero balance and you file Bk the creditor can mark it IIB.  They are under no obligation to mark it "closed by creditor" because of the filing. It is worth a phone call, but they are under no obligation to change it. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.