Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming out of Chapter 13

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Coming out of Chapter 13

First of all I'm totally unclear of when I come out of my Chapter 13, I filed in 7/2011 and had the hearing 10/2011. I was put in a 60 month payment plan, I know my time is nearing but, I don't have a definitive date. The total that I paid into the plan so far is $19 more the original document says that I have to pay. My lawyer says I'm 59 months into the plan but, Pacer.gov says I'm 1716 days into the plan which is about 4 years and 7 months. Do, I go by what the lawyer says or Pacer site?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dt3813
Regular Contributor

Re: Coming out of Chapter 13

You go by when you made the first payment essentially.  You can not only track in pacer, but also on www.ndc.org  I was able to track my 13 from my trustee's website.  Just be prepared...the last payement to discharge...drags.  It may only be a few months, but it feels like an additional year.  Congratulations!  I am one year post discharge.  

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, I use the ndc site that's the one that's telling the dollar amount that I paid is above what the original documents say.

Message 3 of 9
dt3813
Regular Contributor

When that happened to me I called my lawyer, did the final credit counseling course, he filed the paper and called the trustee to get things moving to discharge....and then I continued to watch pacer and the ndc for FOUR months after my last payment.  Make sure you keep the payments going until the trustee says you can stop.  The trustee will reimburse you for any overpayments.  Congrats you are almost finished!

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Concluding a Chapter 13

@Anonymous wrote:

First of all I'm totally unclear of when I come out of my Chapter 13, I filed in 7/2011 and had the hearing 10/2011. I was put in a 60 month payment plan, I know my time is nearing but, I don't have a definitive date. The total that I paid into the plan so far is $19 more the original document says that I have to pay. My lawyer says I'm 59 months into the plan but, Pacer.gov says I'm 1716 days into the plan which is about 4 years and 7 months. Do, I go by what the lawyer says or Pacer site?

03/29/16  Ch 13  Paid in Full.

05/03/16  Ch 13  Discharged.

06/02/16  Ch 13  Standing Trustee's Final Report and Account document

I mention the above because it is not as simple as walking into a room as "flipping" on a light switch. What you see and experience is not immediate and illuminating. You are now involved in a PROCESS which can be frustrating, SLOW, and maddening.

Over time, each day will positively impact your life, but it can be a grueling torture second by second, which takes for ever to pass time during just one 24 hour period. While you are currently waiting for your Ch 13 to end, I can assure you that my WAITING on the Credit Reporting Agencies to update correctly, only continued my impatience and confusion, times three different perspectives.

Ultimately it is the achievement of one milestone at a time, while having a strategic plan to move forward pragmatically and on a fluid date/ time calendar.

At your Trustee's office, there is a point of contact there, who is really  your Best Friend. They are aware of where you are in the process, and the Trustee's calendar as my Trustee's office usually conducted official business one day a month. That is, they make payments only one day a month, so while you may have finished everything, it is possible to have to wait another 29 days.

Contact the Trustee's office, politely and kindly asking to understand  in a very pleasant voice and manner. I say this because I always elicited the information I needed to understand what was going on. In contrast, imagine how many people must call up totally frustrated and angry and dump on the key person who can move their stuff to either the Priority pile or the Fertilizer file.

Take care, and be patient.

Message 5 of 9
dt3813
Regular Contributor

I also contacted the trustee's office, but only after my lawyer told me to. I didn't want to mention contacting the trustee, because I recommended it once before and I was sort of scolded for doing so. I was told by people on here that the trustee is not my friend and the trustee told me that "she does not represent me" and therefore couldn't help me when their office had paid something incorrectly. That being said, my contacting her kindly did jump start tying up the lose ends of my 13. Although my last payment was 2/24/15 Discharged 6/25/15 and closed 7/7/15. I can't remember when but I was reimbursed about $3600 somewhere around 6/1/15 for overpayment.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Concluding a Chapter 13

dt3813 wrote:
I also contacted the trustee's office, but only after my lawyer told me to. I didn't want to mention contacting the trustee, because I recommended it once before and I was sort of scolded for doing so. I was told by people on here that the trustee is not my friend and the trustee told me that "she does not represent me" and therefore couldn't help me when their office had paid something incorrectly. That being said, my contacting her kindly did jump start tying up the lose ends of my 13. Although my last payment was 2/24/15 Discharged 6/25/15 and closed 7/7/15. I can't remember when but I was reimbursed about $3600 somewhere around 6/1/15 for overpayment.

* I would never "scold' anyone for looking after themselves.  It is often referred to as Personal Responsibility

TOTAL Agreement, the Trustee is NOT your Friend.

However, do not confuse the importance of the "clerk / assistant / secretary / or who ever" handles your ADMINISTRATIVE processing as you CONCLUDE the Chapter 13 process.

As they handle the paperwork, and keep track of all of the details, they can tell you the exact date of the month that they pay your creditors. They can tell you that your Last Day of Payment will be an additional 30 days forward because your Attorney filed a request with the Trustee for an additional services payment, and it was too LATE to make the cut-off, even though he said he would submit it in time.

Getting  factual  information is KEY. I can assure you that YOUR attorney who is handling many other cases ( How they Make their MONEY ) will not waste their time chasing such trivial matters, sarcasm intended. You and the person with the actual FACTs of what is happening have to connect so you Know What is going on. Remember, kindly and in a positive pleasant voice. You can consider this as a possible option or sit passively watching the month of the calendar passing endlessly.

Furthermore, obtaining a copy of the Discharge Order is received thru the work flow of this person. Learning that THEY have sent it to the wrong address, it never arriving, and is returned to their office without notification to you could be frustrating. If you are willing to trust the process, go for it. I say this because despite my Great relationship with the Admin, they did drop the ball. Despite ME having provided them a correct and updated mailing address in our mutual effort to make things go smoothly and correctly. They in fact failed to update their information and humbly apologized. Hence another unforeseen delay despite doing everything possible in a polite, kind and supportive manner of the process.

Your choice to actively take a proactive role in understanding the SPECIFIC facts in your case is a directly transferable skill to the cleaning up of your Credit Reports, and then the prudent application of a credit request from a Vendor who gets to subjectively decide how benevolent they will be in extending credit to you in the future. My personal experience thru this Ch 13 / credit report / loan request process is quite simply: Assess, Execute, Rinse, Repeat.

Life is a series of Choices, and you are just one person in sailboat on the ocean. If something adverse happens to you, only you can help yourself. All the good people in the world can not marshal their resources and energy to help you because they don't know that something has happened to you and you are also not on their radar.

Fair winds and following seas

Message 7 of 9
dt3813
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry if my comment came across wrong. It wasn't you that had said I should never tell someone to call the trustee. It was in a post about a year ago. I am definitely not a passive person. I totally believe that in order to make sure things are occurring when they should occur that we have to be active participants in this process. No one cares about our chapter 13s like we do. And no one cares how quickly things occur like we do. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. I was just passing on that someone else on the board had told me not to suggest contacting the trustee's office without asking the letter first. I'm sorry if my post seemed to the contrary.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dt3813 wrote:
I'm sorry if my comment came across wrong. It wasn't you that had said I should never tell someone to call the trustee. It was in a post about a year ago. I am definitely not a passive person. I totally believe that in order to make sure things are occurring when they should occur that we have to be active participants in this process. No one cares about our chapter 13s like we do.  And no one cares how quickly things occur like we do. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. I was just passing on that someone else on the board had told me not to suggest contacting the trustee's office without asking the letter first. I'm sorry if my post seemed to the contrary.

dt3813
~ We are both on the Same Page!  All is well

My comments are a tag on your willingness to discuss with the the OP.  We are 13's!

You are one of the collection of 13's I have been learning from, given that you preceded me. My posts on this site are an effort of reciprocity and to have added to the body of discussion and information to help others.

As you probably know, there are many who read, but don't post. They are the real audience. If I can make a positive contribution to the benefit of at least one person, I will be happy. I went thru the 13 process by myself, and didn't tell anyone about it. Total Silence. If I can share with some one person here who is actively looking for info, it is well worth my time and effort to contribute.

You made two exceptional points:

* No one cares about our chapter 13s like we do.

* And no one cares how quickly things occur like we do.

Risking the rath of others on this site, Chapter 13's are unlike the vanilla flavored I want to up my Credit Score participants on this site.

So in an effort to give voice to the non-vanilla aspects of the 13's, I am posting on a topic I have some personal experience, and truly welcome the expression of others, and specifically differing opinions & experiences.

dt3813 - I read your post as I believe you intended, nothing unfavorable about me, and all is well between us!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.