Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Bankruptcy but not sure...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering Bankruptcy but not sure...

Hello,

I live in south Florida and am considering personal bankruptcy. I have an AMEX from a small business that I used to have many years ago but closed. It was a corporation. Should I pay this balance or can I include it in a bankruptcy? If I file when should I file? Any suggestions of an attorney I can talk with?

ANY information you share would be greatly appreciated!! I am desperate! Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

Re: Considering Bankruptcy but not sure...

Did you personally guarantee the AmEx?  If so, then it is now yours to love & cherish, so go ahead and include it if you file.

Be aware that AmEx black lists for life - that may, or may not matter to you - but it is what it is.

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Considering Bankruptcy but not sure...

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an AMEX from a small business that I used to have many years ago but closed. It was a corporation. Should I pay this balance or can I include it in a bankruptcy? If I file when should I file?

You said this was closed. Was it paid in full? I had a similar situation when I filed. I had a  corporate AX card from 10 years ago that I had a $1400 dispute with and I closed the account. They wrote it off and sent it to collections. 8 to 10 years later I still was getting calls and mail about it since it was resold and resold and resold. I included it in my petition along with my  "current AX account".  I was not blacklisted from the chargeoff. I do not know why they would blacklist me for the BK...as a matter of fact I have a business AX card through my employer although I did not guarantee it. If they do blacklist me in the future it will not be the end of the world....that card is not as usable as masercard or visa anyway.

"When should I file?"

You have not provided any information for anyone to help you with that one....like how much debt, how far behind, assets, income etc...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.