Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering Bankruptcy

Hey all! I am considering bankruptcy. I am nervous. Its a big step for sure. Can I get advice?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Mjhall85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Considering Bankruptcy

what kind of advice ? Most can give you the experiences they had with bankruptcy. It was the best choice I made as I am way better off now.

Chapter 7 filed 2/3
Discharged 6/30

Fico 8
EQ 681 TU 671 Ex 665
Fico 4 TU 690 Fico 5 702 Fico 2 693
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is mainly what I am looking for, if people have any regrets. I have an appointment next Thursday to start the process and I'm a bit nervous. I am struggling to get my credit score up from 509 only to go to 658, with exceptional payment history. I have a judgement from five years ago and also $25,000 worth of all old from the same time period. Even though be moved away from it, it's still haunting my record. 

Is the process difficult?

Message 3 of 20
Mjhall85
Frequent Contributor

With the attorney I had, the process was honestly really simple, once we filed just over 3 months later I was debt free! My only regret was not doing it sooner cause I thought I could dig myself out of the mess. It comes down to you to file or not. The meeting of the creditors was the only thing I was worried about and it goes by quicker than you can order a big mac meal, @FireMedic1 said an analogy similar to that I saw years back. They are also a wealth of information and helped me after bankruptcy.

Chapter 7 filed 2/3
Discharged 6/30

Fico 8
EQ 681 TU 671 Ex 665
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are encouraging words. Thank you for your time.

Message 5 of 20
Mjhall85
Frequent Contributor

Of course, hope you make the right choice whether it's bankruptcy or not. Everyones situation is different but I am almost 2 years out and my fico 8's are near 700 across the board.

Chapter 7 filed 2/3
Discharged 6/30

Fico 8
EQ 681 TU 671 Ex 665
Message 6 of 20
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Thanks @Mjhall85 . If I joined here pre-BK. All that below would be a blank siggy. Took 6 yrs and learning every single move I made to get where I'm at was right from here. But. It actually started with a RN at work who filed BK 2 yrs earlier and said yes you can get credit cards again. Huh? I was a complete FICO who? Scores? Came on here from advise from my lawyer and the rest is history. I've never said to anyone here to file. I just say will you be better off in 2-5 yrs with or without filing. Choice is yours. But with all the reading and learning here I did pretty darn good rebuilding. Thats why I stick around and pass it on. Kinda like repay people for what they did for me in return. Good Luck!

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a wealth of information too. Good to hear how you fisted as well. Thank you for staying on to share your experience.

Message 8 of 20
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all! I am considering bankruptcy. I am nervous. Its a big step for sure. Can I get advice?

There are different types of bankruptcy, which one are you considering? bk7 or bk13.

I found the process tedious as far as the paperwork and the research aspect of verifying lenders addresses etc, some have multiple addresses.

I do regret having to file bk7 but i had no choice. i became suddenly totally disabled in mid 2017. i didnt have any income for 6 months and burned through all my savings during that period and then found myself in a mountain of debt with only a quarter of my former income.

The positive thing is i restarted with a new view of credit. i am sad i burned good lenders like chase but since i found this forum i found many other lenders that are willing to give me a chance.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 20
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is mainly what I am looking for, if people have any regrets. I have an appointment next Thursday to start the process and I'm a bit nervous. I am struggling to get my credit score up from 509 only to go to 658, with exceptional payment history. I have a judgement from five years ago and also $25,000 worth of all old from the same time period. Even though be moved away from it, it's still haunting my record. 

Is the process difficult?

My regret is not filing 2 years earlier, I'm sure others will agree with me, sounds scarier than it is, do your do diligence and make a sound decision but don't be afraid, best thing I did was to file 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.