cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy of FTC Staff Opinion Letter re: No reporting of Chargeoffs or Lates after FILING Date

tag
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Copy of FTC Staff Opinion Letter re: No reporting of Chargeoffs or Lates after FILING Date

I had a number of accounts that were current at the time of filing chapter 7.  No lates, not in chargeoff status.  I have been trying to find this FTC letter for awhile (in full -- not just mention of it) and located it.  I intend to use this in a written dispute for each account sent to each CRA by mail and also to the original creditors insisting that they remove these chargeoff/late pays after filing date.

I am also attaching a very old link from 2006 from a different site discussing the ins and outs of this.  It is the best discussion I have ever found on the topic.

FTC Advisor Opinion Letter:  

https://www.ftc.gov/policy/advisory-opinions/advisory-opinion-lovern-04-24-98

(Old) extensive discussion about the reporting requirements.  Good ammo for creating dispute letters:

(Mod Cut - Im sorry links to this site are not permitted on myFico)

I hope this will help others.  I am ordering my paper reports from each CRA so I can see precisely how they are wording each account.  Under payment status it needs to say (included in bankruptcy) and not as a chargeoff.

Good luck.  I hope this helps others.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Copy of FTC Staff Opinion Letter re: No reporting of Chargeoffs or Lates after FILING Date

Thank you for posting. I'm fairly certain my car loan is reporting incorrectly in many ways, reporting as charged off when it wasn't when I filed, and reporting lates after my filing date. Grrrrr BoA
Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Copy of FTC Staff Opinion Letter re: No reporting of Chargeoffs or Lates after FILING Date

I am requesting that this be made a sticky since it comes up often and this is a definitive letter regarding iib and charge off discrepancies. 

EDIT:  Your post has been added to the stickies Ch-7 Rebuilding. Thank you for the excellent info.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.