Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple months away from filing Ch7

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Couple months away from filing Ch7

@TMDSCT wrote:

Sorry to hear you have to file BK and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advise, but IMO you shouldn't apply for anything, not even a secured card until the discharge is just over 24 months old reporting.  Best of luck on your journey back

Please don't post this again. By the time my discharge hit 24 months my score was over 700. Waiting until 24 months after discharge puts you 24 months behind on a rebuild.

Message 11 of 19
sznthescore
Established Contributor

It happens to the best of us, myself included. Keep your head up. I remember seeing that post as well on getting to the 700s after BK, but I was derailed and lost focus. Just a word of advice... stay the course.

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+; (0) zero inquiries (7/2025)
Message 12 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@TMDSCT wrote:

Sorry to hear you have to file BK and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advise, but IMO you shouldn't apply for anything, not even a secured card until the discharge is just over 24 months old reporting.  Best of luck on your journey back

This is the worst advice  for rebuilding I have  seen  recently . Please disregard the above 😳

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 13 of 19
LadyCupcakes
Established Member

Follow up #2:

5/8/2023: reaffirmation agreement for my car loan posted. No changes to the terms were made. It's a 2020 Kia Soul I bought new and I'm only a $1k or so upside-down on the loan. I love my car so not losing it was a huge win.

5/13/2023: Notice of No Asset Report was filed.  

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Still looking like the discharge date of 6/23/2023 is a go.  *happy dance*

Oh and fun fact. NFCU put a total freeze on my savings account until the discharge clears (per the CSR). I can push money from an outside bank but I can't do a mobile deposit or transfer out funds.  It's the only bank that has done this.  Glad I didn't switch to them as my primary account. I would have been hosed!

BK Ch7 Filed 3/24/2023 ; Est Discharge Date: 6/23/2023
FICO Scores as of 4/19/2023: EX-559, TU-459, EQ-487

FICO Scores as of 6/17/2023: EX-573, TU-551, EQ-615
Car loan with a 5.9% APR reaffirmed
Burned Cap1, Citi, Amex, Synch, Commenity, BOA, Mercury, Discover, Upstart.
Message 14 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Your almost there. Coming around 3rd base headed to home plate and a score! Congrats!

Message 15 of 19
LadyCupcakes
Established Member

UPDATE #4: Woo hoo! Discharged on Monday, 6/26.  I already had MyFico subscription so watching my scores jump 20-50+ points across the board in the past two days has been lovely. 

I got a pre-approval notice on Experian for the Ally Everything card. Pulled the trigger and got $500 approval. Not terrible for a rewards card fresh out the gate. I also applied for a Mission Lane and got $1000 with an increase in 6 months.  I was going to get the NFCU nRewards card once they unfreeze my savings account but now I'm just going to hang tight for six months so I can get an unsecured card instead.

Thanks for the nuggets of advice everyone.  Here's to a wiser, more prosperous journey!

BK Ch7 Filed 3/24/2023 ; Est Discharge Date: 6/23/2023
FICO Scores as of 4/19/2023: EX-559, TU-459, EQ-487

FICO Scores as of 6/17/2023: EX-573, TU-551, EQ-615
Car loan with a 5.9% APR reaffirmed
Burned Cap1, Citi, Amex, Synch, Commenity, BOA, Mercury, Discover, Upstart.
Message 16 of 19
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@LadyCupcakes 

Congratulations on putting that mess in your rear view mirror! We've all been rooting for you!

Message 17 of 19
angelofmusic86
Frequent Contributor

@LadyCupcakes wrote:

UPDATE #4: Woo hoo! Discharged on Monday, 6/26.  I already had MyFico subscription so watching my scores jump 20-50+ points across the board in the past two days has been lovely. 

I got a pre-approval notice on Experian for the Ally Everything card. Pulled the trigger and got $500 approval. Not terrible for a rewards card fresh out the gate. I also applied for a Mission Lane and got $1000 with an increase in 6 months.  I was going to get the NFCU nRewards card once they unfreeze my savings account but now I'm just going to hang tight for six months so I can get an unsecured card instead.

Thanks for the nuggets of advice everyone.  Here's to a wiser, more prosperous journey!

Congrats on the discharge!

CH7 Filed 05.01.2020; Discharged 10.21.2020

10.22.2020 FICO8 Scores: EQ 615 TU 560 EX 581
06.28.2023 FICO8 Scores: EQ 663 TU 663 EX 661

Rebuild progress: Kohl's $3,000; CapitalOne QS $0AF $3,600; CreditOne Rewards $700; CapitalOne Walmart MC $3,000; Overdraft Line $250; PenFed PCR $10,000; Kemba Visa $3,500; CreditOne $0AF AMEX $1,500; Target RedCard $1,200; paid off reaffirmed car loan!; Wells Fargo Active Cash $1,500; Comenity Ultamate Rewards MC $4,250; CapitalOne Savor One $3,000; Amazon Store Card $3,600; CareCredit $7,400; Synchrony TJ Maxx Mastercard $3,500; Well's Fargo Reflect Visa $3,500; Levin Furniture $7,400
Gardening until December 2023.
Message 18 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@LadyCupcakes wrote:

Yay! Booyah! Congrats! Let the fun (cough) begin on your rebuild!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.