Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Courts Closed Due to COVID?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Courts Closed Due to COVID?

Has anyone had any issues with their cases due to courts being closed?  My attorney claims our courts are shutdown but I can't determine how accurate this is.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

Re: Courts Closed Due to COVID?

Go to your bk court's website.  The information will be posted there.

In my district all court hearings are telephonic.  Trials or any matter requiring evidence have been postponed.

Des.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it looks like they may still be open? I'm not to sure at the bottom it says processing cases. @FireMedic1

As you are aware, governmental and non-governmental organizations are taking measures to defend against the spread of COVID-19.  The United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Mississippi continues to monitor the situation and formulate action plans, which are evolving with the situation.  Our utmost concern is the safety of our employees and the attorneys, litigants, and other stakeholders.  We are also mindful of the Court’s duty to ensure the “just, speedy, and inexpensive determination of every action and proceeding” to provide meaningful relief to all parties. 

In accordance with the District Court’s Standing Order (In re: The Novel Coronavirus (COVID_19), 3:20-MC-9), the Bankruptcy Court is suspending all live docket calls and limiting public access to the courthouse.  We are investigating telephonic docket calls, mindful of the difficulties that may result from the document-intensive nature of our proceedings should an evidentiary hearing become necessary.  For good cause shown, the judges will consider in-person hearings. 

The Clerk’s Office remains open at this time and will continue to process cases.  Settlements may be reported as usual, and chambers staff will continue to process orders.  Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this unprecedented event.  Please be safe.  

Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I answered this subject in another thread. Its up to the local govt. Here in Fl no lawyers, jurors, ect are allowed inside.

court.JPG

Message 4 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

My DH had traffic court this coming Friday, when i check on website NO mention of it closing etc., but when I click on his court listing it stated it was postponed til July.

Funny they sent NO notice or made an announcement, glad I checked online. SMH

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my understanding most courts mine included is trying to set up telephone meetings.

Message 6 of 10
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From my understanding most courts mine included is trying to set up telephone meetings.

While information is difficult to find on your District's bankruptcy court website (shame on it) it is not impossible.  As of now, and per the local Standing Order of In re: The Novel Coronavirus (COVID_19), 3:20-MC-9 your Federal courts are open for business.  Here is the link to the Order:

https://www.msnd.uscourts.gov/news/standing-order-re-court-operations-and-covid19

Des.

Message 7 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Jnbmom @Anonymous @despritfreya 

Here in Florida there are many restrictions for BK courts. They are accepting el4ectronic signatures. Trustees are taking a break. Social distancing to the max.

http://pacer.flmb.uscourts.gov/administrativeorders/DataFileOrder.asp?FileID=95 

EXTENSIONS OF CERTAIN DEADLINES (Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020)

In light of the Office of the United States Trustee's having postponed all Sec. 341 meetings of creditors scheduled through April 10, 2020, the Court has entered Administrative Order FLMB-2020-2 to extend certain deadlines that relate to the date first set for the Sec. 341 meeting.

Click HERE to view the Administrative Order.
OFFICE OF THE U.S. TRUSTEE ANNOUNCES CONTINUANCE OF ALL SECTION 341 MEETINGS (Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020)

Effective immediately, all in-person chapter 7, 12, and 13 section 341 meetings scheduled through April 10, 2020, in the Middle District of Florida are hereby continued until a later date to be determined. Absent special circumstances, section 341 meetings may not proceed during this period except through telephonic or other alternative means not requiring personal appearance by debtors. Appropriate notice will be provided to parties in accordance with bankruptcy law and rules.

Meetings already noticed as telephonic meetings may proceed as scheduled.

Click HERE to view the full announcement.

Message 8 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@despritfreya wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While information is difficult to find on your District's bankruptcy court website (shame on it) it is not impossible.  As of now, and per the local Standing Order of In re: The Novel Coronavirus (COVID_19), 3:20-MC-9 your Federal courts are open for business.  Here is the link to the Order:

https://www.msnd.uscourts.gov/news/standing-order-re-court-operations-and-covid19

Des.

Thats Mississippi.

Message 9 of 10
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1

Yup - each court/trustee is different.  At least one Trustee in AZ is using Zoom for 341s.  However, despite social distancing, he expects the debtor to sit in my office for the video meeting.  Not going to happen.  We stopped all in-office meetings two weeks ago.

Please note - my comment to JohnKenny was for his district.  See post 3 of 9.  He is located in the ED of Mississippi.  He pasted the information on the bk website (tough to find) but did not go to the US District Court's site to get a copy of the Standing Order.  As I think you pointed out, folks need to check their local courts for details.  Unfortunately, there is no continuity in dealing with what is going on.

Stay safe and healthy.

Des.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.