Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Question - Cap 1 and NFCU

tag
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

Credit Card Question - Cap 1 and NFCU

So I'm 4 months post Ch 7 discharge and have 2 credit cards (NFCU - Secured $300 and Capital One Platinum - $2K unsecured).   Also, everyone should take the advice that I've seen all across the boards and be patient.   I probably jumped the gun on the NFCU and got that a little over 30 days post discharge but got the Capital One about 75 days when my score had jumped by about 65 points.

My question is on CLI and NFCU unsecuring.   I PIF NFCU each month (pay each week whatever I buy - usually $40-50) and keep the Capital One at less than 8.9%.   However, I generally just put a few things on Cap1 and the balance is never more than $150, but I've read that Capital One likes heavy usage.  So I wasn't sure if I should start paying some bills (electric, phone, insurance, etc) and set it up to pay those same amounts 1 day later, so I get heavy usage but no increased balance.   I wasn't sure if that would be looked at more favorably in 4 months when I push the CLI button.   Sort of the same question with NFCU and if higher usage (and paying it off each week) would result in a certain unsecuring at 5 months and possibly an increased credit line.   I tried the Discover pre-qual and it didn't bite, but I'm fine with just having these 2 for right now (I have Student Loans and a finance loan that I reaffirmed so I have the 3 credit lines covered).

My scores are:

EQ - 637

TU - 607 (my scores jumped 89 pts in 4 months)

EX - 595

Also, have a house that was just sold, so not sure how that will impact my scores once that comes off my credit reports.  It was about a $450K mortgage.

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
2/25/24:

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit Card Question - Cap 1 and NFCU

Cap one is 6 months for CLI .
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You can upgrade the Plat to a QS for cash back here:

https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade  

You can smash the CLI button its a SP. If you get a CLI then you have to wait 6 months.

Message 3 of 8
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Just keep doing what you're doing with NFCU and I'm sure your card with them will unsecure in no time.  

Message 4 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would charge and pay every penney  you can.

I would put 75% of everything through Cap One.

Pay both weekly.

Both will grow and provide better cards and higher limits in the future.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@md_rebuild - Questions

Did you ask for a $300 limit for your secured card or is that the amount they approved you for?  I just turned in all of my paperwork to my lawyer, I'm filing in March and I was just wondering because I'm going to apply for a secured card as well but wanted to start with a $1,000 limit.  Also, with Navy Federal, do you know if they will close your secured card acount and reopen you an unsecured account, or just make your existing secured account unsecured?  Wondering for AAOA.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 8
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

I just put it down at $300, because that's all I could afford at the time.   I could increase it now, but since I'm probably 2 months away from it unsecuring, it's not really worth it.   I believe you can do $1,000.   I think I saw that they would do up to $5K.

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
2/25/24:

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do not close your account when its unsecured. They just convert it to a cash rewards card and send you a new card with the same account number. They begin reviews for graduation starting at 6 months.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.