cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards After Chapter 7

tag
Earn_and_Learn

Credit Cards After Chapter 7

I consulted with a BK Atty today. I told him I wanted to reaff on one of my cards he told me that not only shouldn't I do it the judge doesn't allow reaffs. He said it didn't matter anyway because within 60 days of the discharge every one of my current credit cards would send me an application to get a new card. I think he was full of it. Has anyone here gone through a chapter 7 and what did your credit card lenders do after the discharge?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Cards After Chapter 7

I tried to keep a Cap1 open that had a $0 bal and they closed it a month after I filed. No new apps in mail though.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 5
Earn_and_Learn

I thought what he said was too goog to be true. When he told me that in the consultation I said how would they want to lend me money again after I just wrote them all off. He was all you gave them a free tax writeoff and you'll have no debt to income ratio plus you can't file for another 8 years so your no risk at all. I am going to worry mysef sick about getting credit after this. Years of a perfect record and then a divorce tanks my finances an straps me with most of the debt. This is going to hurt.

Message 3 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

My cards were cancelled by the banks shortly after filing Ch 7. Both banks told me that its was their policy to cancel credit cards once their card holder filed for bankruptcy. I got over it pretty fast and am doing just fine rebuilding my credit with new credit cards and a small installment loan. You can do it so stop driving yourself crazy over it.

Message 4 of 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

I instantly applied for another cap1 and was approved instant.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.