Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair after Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Repair after Bankruptcy

I ran in to money problem several years back and decided to get the services of a debt settlement company to help me. Even though they settled couple of the credit cards after a while I couldn't pay them either and had to file for Chapter 7. It has been several years since bankruptcy and now I want to improve my credit. I was able to get Capital One card since that but that's about it.

I wanted to know if there is a way to remove the cards that were settled from the credit report because they are showing up as "settled for less than full amount" and if there are tips that I could use to improve my credit. I know that bankruptcy stayes on your report for a while but I heard stories of people still having great credit scores several years after filling.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Repair after Bankruptcy

Well, your statement "Even though they settled couple of the credit cards after a while I couldn't pay them either and had to file for Chapter 7" is confusing. If you settled those accounts and paid in full for less than the original balance BEFORE you filed Ch7 then they are reporting correctly, can't be disputed, and will remain on your credit report for 7 years. If you agreed to a settlement amount but didn't pay it (or all of it) and included the account in Ch7 then they should report as $0 balance, Closed, and IIB (Included in BK).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.